PDA

View Full Version : Paracheilinus Filamentosus extremely unhardy?

socalreefer73
01/12/2007, 11:05 PM
My friend and I have BOTH had bad luck with these species of wrasse. Mine is starting to lose it's color and just not look healthy. My Gramma Loreto (Royal Gramma) is doing amazing and so are the rest of his fish. He's on his second filamentosus..

I think we're both just done with them after this. Does anyone know of any problems with these fish?

zemuron114
01/12/2007, 11:53 PM
i havn't heard of any problems with these fish. They should be very hardy. How are they doing at the store before you buy them?

waterfaller1
01/13/2007, 02:40 AM
There are a few problems with this fish. The main problem that I see is they are very wary and nervous around people/strangers. They come in and want to hide, but of course customers need to see them...so, they get and stay stressed out while they are at the shop. So most of them do not eat while being held at the wholesalers, then at the LFS. Then it depends on what tankmates you have, and what you are feeding them as well. I would say fairy & flasher wrasses in general are a bit touchy.

socalreefer73
01/15/2007, 11:00 AM
I was making a newb mistake, in a bout with cyano (new stronger lighting system, poorly designed skimmer which I fixed this weekend), I was feeding every other day. I had my expert come in and inspect my tank and we both noticed he was thin as a rail. I have been feeding him three times a day since. luckily he likes to swim at the top of my tank and the gramma at the bottom so I can concentrate on fattening him up... He's been very vigorous since...

My expert's gramma has been moved to his QT system for observation. His tank has other flashers that were taunting him (115g).

All in all, it looks like everything is good.

socalreefer73
01/15/2007, 11:01 AM
my flasher actually doesn't mind people.. my gramma tho.. he darts in the rocks when I walk by sometimes.. esp. after a w/c coral gluing session...