PDA

View Full Version : New frogspawn... maybe a clown home?

chrisstie
01/12/2007, 11:43 PM
I wanted to find something for my clowns to have a chance at hosting in so i got a bigger piece of frogspawn.. the rest of the stuff in my 55g is mostly just frags.. i was torn between this piece or the much more expensive bigger piece but here it is after only an hour or so in my tank

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/355489651_c3cad383a5.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/355489509_7db0d5350d.jpg

If this doesn't work i'll try some xenia that grows like weeds and if that doesn't work maybe a leather... My tank is too new for an anemone and even if i got one it'd probably move around and sting everything with my luck ;p

Elite
01/13/2007, 12:10 AM
You should start worry about the hair algae :) ..

JBG
01/13/2007, 06:02 AM
What kind of sand do you use ?

chrisstie
01/13/2007, 08:20 AM
My tank had uncured rock that I cured and cycled myself.. trust me that algae is *nothing* compared to a few weeks ago. The snails are eating everything as we speak.

I'm using the aragonite stuff that i seeded with a little bit of live sand.. the fairly fine grain stuff but not sugar

toddman74
01/15/2007, 08:40 PM
Christie,
you should get some mexican turbo snails for those algae if you don't have them already. or a lawn mower blenney.

ALso is there any way you can glue or wedge your frogsprawn between 2 rocks? you'll want the head expose to water all around so it will open up alot bigger than it now, and it will also help attract the clowns.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/toddman74/IMG_0136.jpg

goulashriot
01/15/2007, 11:48 PM
clownfish can be picky when it comes to living space. my friend has had the same two clowns for about three years now, and thus far they have lived in brain corals, feather dusters (which still confuses me), and just in the open water.

right now he has a large polyp hammer coral (possibly 10" by 4" or larger when extended) but they dont want anything to do with it, one clown sticks with his open brain and the other sticks with a feather duster.

mine have still yet to find a home after two months in the tank.

PONCHDOG2000
01/16/2007, 07:26 PM
i have had the same concerns about my clowns. i want them to be happy in a home. everyone says they are fickle and will host lots of things, even power heads (from what my fs guy told me). mine havn't hosted anything yet, but from the sting marks it looks like they have been trying my frogspawn (unsuccessfully). good luck tho

chrisstie
01/16/2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the tips :) The pic above was taken after it just going in the tank and it has full clearance to open up- and it does!

My clowns are tank raised misbars (false percs) and are really dopey. My next plan of attack is a frilly mushroom at my LFS that I love anyway.

As for the mexican turbos? I have about 5 of them :):):) who knows what they'll eat when they're done but they have a ways to go. I should put an updated pic they have been doing a swell job. Its just that the tank is so new that it'll take a while to finish getting rid of the macro algae. I have a fuge with chaeto growing at night, too so.. heres hoping :)

pink_floyd
01/17/2007, 08:29 AM
A clown hosting on anything is a hit or miss.. I had a lot of corals where a clown fish can host but they never did.. then all of a sudden i brought a hammer one day and they all hosted on it, and also on the leathers, the frogspawns and some anthelias.. you can never tell with clowns... good luck!

sniggir
01/17/2007, 08:43 AM
how many cleaners do you have is it just the 5 turbos? my clown loves my torch hides in it all day... he is a false perc aswell