PDA

View Full Version : Sea hare ink toxic to humans?

Secondgen
01/13/2007, 06:01 AM
Can anyone tell me if sea hare ink is toxic to humans? My sea hare was found stuck in the strainer of one of my powerheads, and when I tried to get him out he released ink all over my hand. I might be a little paranoid, but I was just wondering. I know it can be toxic to fish. Like I said it only got on my skin for a short period of time before I washed it off. Any help would be appreciated.

waterfaller1
01/13/2007, 06:11 AM
Anytime you get any 'tank related' toxin as long as you are'nt having a severe reaction ..white vinegar will usually do. I am not aware of the toxin being bad for humans, but it can wreak havoc on your tank! Run some fresh carbon and do a good size water change.

Secondgen
01/13/2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks alot for the info. It is good to know that I am in no danger. No ink ever made it into the tank it happened when I was trying to free him from the strainer I think I poked him, and thats when he inked me.

waterfaller1
01/13/2007, 06:22 AM
I would'nt go eating one though..LOL.:eek2: :lol:

greenbean36191
01/13/2007, 09:53 AM
The ink isn't toxic to anything, fish, human, or invertebrate. The eggs and mantle tissue of some species are toxic if eaten, but that's about it.