PDA

View Full Version : Gaping mouth on Seabae anemone ?

A sea K
01/13/2007, 07:31 PM
I purchased a pair of percs w/anenome back on Dec 9. The nem I have identified as H crispa by many photos posted here.
The nem was totaly white w/ purple tips and not sticky at all when i got him. He moved one time 4 days after intro to the tank and has remained there since. I knew little about nems when I got him but have been learning as I go and has worked out well so far.
He was very slow to take any food at first (couldnt hold w/tentacles so I held food in his mouth till it was partly ingested). He is now able to grasp food on his own and also starting to gain his color back becoming more noticable almost on a daily basis.
My biggest concern is his mouth stays open most of the time and only occasionaly closes. I understand this is a bad sign, is it something to be overly concerned about or will it pass as the nem regains its health.
Also I have been feeding 3-4 times a week (krill&silversides) and was wondering whether I should increase/decrease feedings?

raoul
01/13/2007, 07:47 PM
Your feeding schedule is probably fine, I think most recommend every other day for helping nems recover, after that once or twice a week is usually fine.

The gaping mouth is usually something to keep an eye on. If it begins spewing white stuff, that's bad, it usually means it's dying.

It's good it's taking food and you can see a difference in its color. You're not out of the woods yet though so keep an eye on it. There are others who can give you better answers, hopefully they'll chime in as well.

Good luck!

davocean
01/13/2007, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't sweat it too much, you're doing about all that you can do anyway.
I'd leave it alone as much as possible, no force feed.
Silverside once or twice a week and krill/mysis/cyclopses on regular feeding days.
If it's attached that's a good sign.
They do open mouth here and there it seems for others as well.

A sea K
01/13/2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, this may seem like a foolish question to some but how do you feed cyclopeeze to a nem?

davocean
01/13/2007, 08:33 PM
I just pour in my tank when feeding fish.
I put it in a spot where the water circulates through the tank well, and nem will pick up mysis or whatever as it passes.
Lighting is a big source of fuel for them.
Nems can actually go a long time w/ out actual food if they have good lighting.

A sea K
01/13/2007, 08:47 PM
Sounds easy enough. I'll keep putting the food to him for now until I think he's healthy and then cut back some.

Lights out for me now ( I'm one of those early to bed early to rise type)

Thanks for the tips and words of encouragement.