PDA

View Full Version : Iceprobe Chiller

Big Blue Hippo Tang
01/13/2007, 07:28 PM
Hello, I have a 150G tank and a 60G sump, right now I have a 1/3hp chiller on it, this chiller works good, but I usally only have to drop my tank 2-3 degrees at the most, and I would like to get rid of this chiller takes up alot of room, and can't be near anything because it needs air flow..and I was wondering if a ICEPROBE would do the trick...any advice would be great...B.B.H.Tang

BeanAnimal
01/13/2007, 08:35 PM
Not likely... if you want to try a peltier then you will need to get one of the MUCH larger devices....

http://www.finsreef.com/product.php?productid=16453&cat=317&page=1

FLIGER has a good thread (he purchased one). However, there is a large debate about the efficiency. No matter, they are quiet and small... and well expensive!

Bean

Henry Bowman
01/13/2007, 08:36 PM
Ice probes sttruggle on tanks over 20 or so gallons due to the type of chilling they utilize and their overall size. 6 of them probably souldnot cool your tank.

Big Blue Hippo Tang
01/13/2007, 09:00 PM
Thank you for the information...I didn't think it would be a good idea, but didn't no much about them....I'll stick with my 1/3hp chiller B.B.H.Tang

BeanAnimal
01/13/2007, 09:57 PM
Just so everybody is on the same page...

These devices are "peltier junction" based. The best they can do is move 1 watt of heat for each watt of input power. A typical chiller or phase change device has a COP of 3 or 4. This means that it takes 1 watt of energy to MOVE 3 or 4 watts of energy.

In other words on their best day with a HUGE temperature differential helping them, peliers are only 1/3 as efficient as phase change devices. The rest of the time they have a COP of near .5 AVG so are 6 times less efficient.

Just something to think about...