PDA

View Full Version : firefish has something on it

deetu
01/13/2007, 09:48 PM
Hello, I'm new and new tank. Quick history. 20 gallon extra high, 10 lb Kupang, 20 lbs crush coral live sand, cycled normal for 6 weeks, did WC.
Introduced 6 turbo snails and 5 blue hermit crabs. Week later another WC, then introduced Peppermint shrimp and firefish. It's been about 10 weeks now, regular WCs, shrimp has shed twice and hermits have changed shells. I wish to get seahorses once established.

Here's the problem. A week after having the firefish, there was a...growth on her side right behind the fin. It did not look like bacterial or fungual, more like a cyst or parasite. I kept an eye on it, it emptied and left a skinlike tube. That fell off and there was a small hole. I thought it was done but a week later, and now it's back again. I cannot get a good enough picture of it.

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/4721firefish.jpg

She is eating and swimming fine. I cannot catch her to quarantine her (she has a deep cave in the live rock) but I also don't want to just treat unless I know what is wrong with her. Any ideas?

Hattie B
01/14/2007, 01:18 PM
Hello deetu

Welcome to RC.

Are you thinking that it is a parasite? Like something was there maybe feeding on your fish then fell off?

or is it something more like lymphocyctis? Lymph can look like cotton on the fins or larger cell masses on the body.