PDA

View Full Version : New rocks.Some questions?

specialreef
01/14/2007, 12:15 PM
I started my tank up with some dead rocks, then i added couple pounds of LFS live rock & live sand to seed dead rocks. Last night i got more live rocks to add to my tank. The rocks have lots of macro algae, and other things on them.

What should i do so they get life restarted,some of this things look dead.
Also should i have my skimmer running im not sure?
Would this be a good time to toss a shrimp in their for the cycle?
My setup has been up and running for about a week and a half. I tested for ammonia last night before i added the new rocks amd it was at .5 ppm

kelrn98
01/14/2007, 01:25 PM
run your skimmer. no need to toss in a shrimp, your tank will cycle with LR alone.

specialreef
01/14/2007, 01:51 PM
What about for all the red,coraline & macro algae(i have alot) and other stuff i can't i.d. they look very similar to Orange Cup ,tubastrea coccinea except it's purple with smaller holes in the center.

specialreef
01/14/2007, 04:46 PM
any opinions?

Moloch_0
01/14/2007, 04:51 PM
Do you have any crisp pictures?

brandonst878
01/14/2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds good but you are going to need to be patient. The critters, bacteria and coraline algae in the liverock that you added will need to colonize the dead rock. The bacteria will probably multiply quickly during your cycle but the critters and algae might take a little longer. The live rock youadded will probablystart your cycle so there is no need to add shrimp. Definately run your skimmer. You might also want to start dosing a two part cal/alk solution to add calcium and buffer your PH. Good luck and I hope the tank turns out great.

specialreef
01/14/2007, 09:05 PM
Yes i do have pics but i have to upload them.

Brandon878 thank you for your advice.