PDA

View Full Version : Starting my 40 breeder

Dustin1231
01/14/2007, 05:35 PM
I decided that i was going to stay with my 40 gallon breeder. I want to be able to have some SPS, and LPS in the tank. As well as some small fish, and maybe one mid sized tank. This is my first tank that isn't going to be ran off a canister filter. I would like all your guys help on what would be a great filter setup and lighting setup for this size of a tank. So if you could leave me some advise, it would be great in helping me get my tank on its way.

New_Noob
01/14/2007, 09:55 PM
If you want SPS i would recomend setting up a sump with a skimmer, and even a refugium if you have the room, your also going to need good lighting, MH light fixtures are a good choice, but with a 40 gallon breeder you could get away with using a t5 fixture as your light, you wouldnt need the power of a MH light for a shallow tank like that, and t5 lights will help cut down on the heat in the tank, the best advice i can give for setting up an SPS tank is take your time, i would let the tank mature for 5-6 months with LPS and soft corals before adding the SPS corals to it, you must be able to keep the tanks water conditions stable at all times.