PDA

View Full Version : Fuge for Nano 12gDX

matthewdmueller
01/14/2007, 07:23 PM
I'm going to be setting up my JBJ 12gal DX again in a couple of weeks and I was thinking about setting it on top of a cabinet that I could have a sump/refugium in. Since the JBJ's are all in one packages I know that this is not a necessity but just something that I was thinking about tring out. Has anyone tried this? If you have, where did you place your overflow? The only thing that I can come up with for this type of rig is an overhead sump/fuge that overflows back into the display instead of the other way around. Other than that I can only thin to punch a hole in the bottom of the display side of the tank and use that as the overflow. Any thoughts on this subject would help me out.

sperry
01/14/2007, 09:00 PM
Most people just trim the covering off the back of the tank and turn the middle chamber into a fuge. There are lots of threads about that. If you are wanting a real fuge check out this link of my tanks. The pics are of right after I set it up so it was still cycling. I should be putting some new pics on there soon.

12DX with 6DX fuge (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=998579)

matthewdmueller
01/14/2007, 09:53 PM
So you just cut an overflow in the middle compartment and then had it return straight into the display. That was kind of what I was thinking but I was concerned about the water level staying consistant in the middle compartment. Do you have a problem with that at all or do you have you return pumps hooked to a float switch of sorts? My guess would be you get the same out as you do in, just like any other overflow but I might just be over analizing. What size holes do you have and what size return from your 6gal do you have? I'm thinking of doing a 10gal sump/fuge so I am going to want at least a MJ1200 for the return pump and I am concerned about the overflow not being able to keep up without a ball valve after the pump. I wonder if I should just put in a 1". How did you determine where to punch the hole for the overflow? I guess I could make it adjustable, there just isn't a lot of room.

sperry
01/14/2007, 10:54 PM
I just looked at where the water level was in the middle chamber during normal operation with the surface skimmer on the intake and put a hole a little below that. Then adjusted the surface skimmer to keep the level where I wanted it with the drain open. It works just like any other drain, what comes in goes back out. I have a 3/4 drain and a 1/2 return. both have a ball valve in them to shut water off for ease of service. Since I dont have a durso pipe on the drain it gurgles and I can slightly close the drain valve to quieten it when I want to but usually leave it open since the closed hood muffles it pretty well. I am using a MJ 900 for a return pump. The MJ 1200 wouldnt fit in the first chamber of the 6gal. The only down side is I have to run the 6gal a little low (maybe an inch below the trim) so it will hold the drainage from the 12gal if the power goes out but it doesnt look bad. I have the 4.24 + fuge light in the 12gal hood, MJ1200, MJ900, MJ600 and the skimmer pump and my temps never go over 81. Typically they are about 79 with everything on.