PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if a snail is dead?

FLReefGirl
01/14/2007, 08:18 PM
I have a few astraea snails. I've had them for about a week. They were all doing well. Now I have one that hasn't moved for a day. Is it dead? If it is dead should I leave it there for the hermit crabs to use the shell or get rid of it?

scrmbld33
01/14/2007, 08:21 PM
sometime you can tell its dead just by smelling it, chances are if you have hermits and it hasnt moved in a while the hermits already picked it clean, if the shell is empty leave it for the hermits, if it smells dead you can pick the dead snail out of the shell and put the shell back in

ACBlinky
01/14/2007, 08:22 PM
Take it out of the tank and smell it. You'll know instantly if it's dead. If it is, I'd remove it -- clean the shell out and give it back to your hermits empty if you like, but don't let the snail rot in your tank. It stinks, and could create an ammonia spike depending on the size of the snail.

IPowderBlueTang
01/14/2007, 08:23 PM
My snails sometimes sit on the back glass all day, but if it is dead on ths sand bed just leave it there, the crabs will smell it and get a snack out of it and then use its shell when they get bigger!

FLReefGirl
01/14/2007, 08:42 PM
OK, Thanks everyone.
Stinky snail = dead snail. Got it.

a4twenty
01/14/2007, 08:46 PM
i'm with powderblue, dead snail = buffet for hermits :)

jumpincactus
01/14/2007, 09:44 PM
Best way to tell saves you from sniffin rotting snail.

If its layin on its back with feet in air its either dead or wanting snail sex

:eek1: Just playin could'nt resist

jjmg
01/14/2007, 09:49 PM
If you have a good crew of hemits, they will take care of the problem and you will see a hermit with a new house. If I see a snail on his back I'll right him by the glass. If I miss one the hermits make out with food and a new house.

I like to watch hermits and the few snails they get that aren't dead are worth the spikes for the ones they get that are dead.

FLReefGirl
01/14/2007, 10:05 PM
Snail sex huh? That would be interesting. :)
How long will it take for the hermits to figure out it's dead and clean up the problem? I don't want to have a spike it h2o params due to a rotting snail.
It was never tipped over. Even now it is right side up, it just hasn't moved in a little over 24hrs. Could my anemone have killed it and left it in the shell. It is over by the anemone.