PDA

View Full Version : Algae From Hell

bluetmax
01/14/2007, 10:48 PM
Hi all! I am having a major problem with some sort of algae in my SPS tank. It is slowly but surely killing all of my SPS corals, and I really do not know what else to do. All water parameters are within normal limits. I use RO water for makeup, and the lights are PCs on 12 hours a day. The algae is some sort of slimy brown algae colored with what looks like patches of green in it, and for some reason, it always has air bubbles init. In some places it even has a hair algae appearance, but the majority of it looks like what I previously described. I did a massive water change and scrubbed all the rock with a toothbrush and it was back in two days. I really REALLY need some suggestions as I am losing all of my SPS corals. As far as trace elements are concerned I use B-Ionic and have never before had any problems. The tank is filtered with a CPR BakPak.

sharrison
01/15/2007, 12:20 AM
Are you using RO/DI or just RO water?
If your using RO/DI water then you could try cutting your light use back a little bit. Plants cant grow with out light. Have you noticed wether or not it's not as much apparent when you first turn your lights on?
I would stop the massive water changes if your tanks parematers look good. I never do water changes (EVER) the only new water that gets added to my tank is the stuff that evaporates.
How long has this tank been established?
I've noticed newer establishing tanks get the brown algae for a little bit.
Also what does your water movement look like? Do you have quite a bit of water movement in your tank? Having alot of watr movement can reduce this growth.
The biggest thing is make sure you dont over parent the tank.

sharrison
01/15/2007, 12:23 AM
oh. do you have it infront of a window? sunlight comming in to the tank through your homes windows can cause this as well. Some people think that the natual sunlight is good for the inhabatants. But since the windows in your home have UV filtering on them it takes out all the rays that make it benifical and can cause this to.