PDA

View Full Version : About to cave in and buy the real thing- few questions first

axia55
01/15/2007, 05:31 AM
I am in the process of transferring my 20H into a 28 bowfront (24x15x19). Since the bowfront is higher, I want to upgrade my lighting so I will be able to keep a clam or two. I now have a Current Orbit PC 2x65w on my 20H. Since the new 28g has a brace in the middle, that basically rules out MH's, which leaves me with T5.

I have been debating if I should just get the Finnex 4x24w T5 fixture with single reflector for $115 or spend $320 and get the Tek 4x24w from Reefgeek. So even though I really can't afford it, the peer pressure on these boards has "made me" get the Tek fixture :eek1: . Now here are my questions.

-ReefGeek recommends 1 daylight-1Aquablue-2 Actinic Plus. I really prefer a "bluer" look. Right now I have 1 GE 6500K, 1 Giesemann 11000K aquablue, and 2 Giesemann Actinic Plus. Will this be a good combo for me?
-I can't hang the fixture in my apartment and I don't want to spend $55 for legs. If I get the Acrylic shield, can I just set the fixture on top of my tank?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BrokeColoReefer
01/15/2007, 07:57 AM
fwiw, you made the right decision. The reflectors in that tek light is what makes it worth the money. How ever you decide to support it, make sure your not going to drop that $300 light in the tank. I would get the legs, its cheap insurance. Call reefgeek and talk to greg about your bulb concerns. There a fantastic outfit that knows there stuff.