PDA

View Full Version : What is the best quality reliable heater out on the market???

Marc
01/15/2007, 01:08 PM
I have just had another ebo jager give out on me. It does not consistently keep the water at 79 degrees and I am tired of it. I have not had any animals suffer yet thank god because I checked the temp this morning and it is 76 degrees. I am very concerned about it and I am looking for suggestions of good reliable heaters out there and where to buy them.
Also does anyone have any experirence with Amercian Marine's Pinpoint Wireless Thermomoter???? Are they any good? How about Ranco temp controllers???

Thanks,
Marc

phishlet
01/15/2007, 07:15 PM
Go with a controller. The Ranco is a good one. There is no such thing as a "reliable" aquarium heater. I run a finnex titanium heater controlled by a Neptune AC3. My tank has not varied by more than 1 degree in days.

Marc
01/15/2007, 07:44 PM
Where can you buy the Ranco controller from? Also can you use this controller with every heater or just titanium heaters???

Marc

phishlet
01/15/2007, 08:04 PM
www.diyreef.com

You can use any heater. There are titanium heaters that are made to be used with a controller like the finnex titaniums. They have not built in thermostat and are virtually unbreakable. You can get Aqualine titaniuim heaters at the above web site too.

pjf
01/15/2007, 09:45 PM
Having a heater with a built-in thermostat plugged into temperature controller provides a safety net.

I don't recommend heating elements. If your controller's thermo-sensor falls out of the aquarium, your heating element will cook the tank. The thermostat-heater provides a backup.

sjm817
01/15/2007, 09:48 PM
I 2nd what pjf posted.
A local reefer lost an entire tank when the external controller went haywire and the heaters had no built in thermostat.

Marc
01/15/2007, 09:58 PM
Have you ever ordered from DIYReef.com? Are they a reputable company or just brand new because I have not heard of them.

ck1
01/15/2007, 10:36 PM
DIYReef is great to order from. Debbie is the owner. she has great customer service and shipping. I have oreder several times from her.

Chad

Marc
01/15/2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks, I'm going to give them a call tommorrow.

Marc

Marc
01/15/2007, 11:32 PM
I have never used titanium heaters before but can you tell me if they are safe to use in the tank itself? I currently took down my sump and I run my skimmer directly on the tank. What about burns to fish or inverts?

Thanks,
Marc