PDA

View Full Version : Advice if possible.

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 05:29 PM
I have a 110 AGA Megaflow tank (pre-drilled) IS there any way I can set this up sumpless? Thanks in advance guys..

Paintbug
01/15/2007, 05:45 PM
yep, just cap the bulkheads.

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 06:12 PM
but what about the overflow? wont the water that goes in it just be stagnant?

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 06:33 PM
here are some pics, see where the overflow would have NO flow because it would be blocked off? I don't want to have any problems because of it..

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l205/imu7899/fishtank001.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l205/imu7899/fishtank002.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l205/imu7899/fishtank004.jpg

ellio
01/15/2007, 06:37 PM
Put a small pump in your overflow and run the tubing over the top of the overflow.

Leo73173
01/15/2007, 06:47 PM
Can I ask why you are going sumpless? I am just curious because I am wanting to drill my 125 for a sump and overflow.

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 06:48 PM
I was thinking.. would it be possible to make it some kind of fuge? if so how could I?

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 06:48 PM
Money, time, space, risk.. plenty of factors, just really don't want to. Idk..

Leo73173
01/15/2007, 06:50 PM
Ok I was just wondering good luck with it

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 07:02 PM
any suggestions about the fuge?

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 07:15 PM
What if I put some egggrate like 3/4 of the way down and glued in it place, and under that would be the fuge, and on the eggcrate I'll set the pump to flow the water out.

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 07:28 PM
ttt

Paintbug
01/15/2007, 07:28 PM
thats a glass tank right? you should be able to remove that overflow then just cap the holes. or you could just swap the tank with me for my 75g non-drilled and use it for a sump :D LOL

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 07:29 PM
haha. The overflow is glued on! haha gotta keep that on man

RedEyeElf
01/15/2007, 07:36 PM
you could drill holes in the wall of the overflow, and put a return pump in the bottom, connected to the bulkhead at the top and make sure the fuge has light, should work, atleast in my head

Seen a tank w/clear overflow have TONS of pods running about
(overflow had PVC pipe up to the overflow at the top, so it was all flooded out)

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 07:48 PM
Should I do my idea? Or should I do Redeye's idea? or should I just put a return pump with PVC running back into the tank?

reefshadow
01/15/2007, 07:55 PM
Not sure of the overflow dimensions, but I run my tank sumpless but with an internal overflow as well. I use mine to run lots of things out of; ca. reactor, protein skimmer, heater, and even have a big ball of cheato in there. The only equipment visible in my tank is 2 seios. I didn't want to fool with a sump either.

If you are going with a skimmer, running it out of the overflow is nice because it keeps the benefit of surface skimming.

With the teeth at the top of the overflow you should get enough tank water passing back and forth to where you don't really need to be pumping it out of there. I don't have any equipment in my overflow actually pumping back into the disply and it does fine, but I have alot of gph moving around in the overflow itself.

Good luck!

Misled
01/15/2007, 08:18 PM
Could use it to run your flow through!

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 08:34 PM
so should i just put my skimmer, and two heaters in it? my skimmer is a HOB, how would I do that?

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 08:37 PM
and also would that be enough flow? should I still drill holes in the overflow just incase?

reefshadow
01/15/2007, 08:53 PM
As long as there isn't a brace covering the overflow I don't see a problem, as long as the skimmer pump fits, you can just stick it in there. (mine is a HOB as well). You may want to drill some more holes if you are concerned you won't be getting enough mixing with display water, this may be a good idea if you want to run the heaters in there.

Or you could use it to run your flow through like jlln suggested, but you'll have to calculate how much it's capable of, I think there's a calculator for that on the home page. I wouldn't imagine a small overflow like that could handle much though, so if this was my tank I would probably be inclined to hide equipment in there, and rely on a closed loop or internal powerheads for the majority of flow.

GL :)

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 08:56 PM
think I'll hide the heaters in there, TRY to fit my skimmer, and I will drill holes in the overflow.. If I can't fit the skimmer in it, how do I get flow in there? My overflow DOES have a brace over it.. So how do I get more flow?

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 09:12 PM
^^^

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 09:28 PM
how big should the holes i drill be?

reefshadow
01/15/2007, 09:42 PM
If you can't get the skimmer in there (brace) I would consider running some flow out of it like jlln suggested. You'll have to calculate how much you can do based on the size of the overflow. I would be carefull how many holes you drill and what size, you don't want fish/corals sticking to them if you run flow out of there. If you want to do your heaters and a small fuge instead of lots of flow you can just use a very small pump and PVC or acrylic tubing to push a small amount out, that way your heaters are sensing the correct temp of the display and not just the overflow. You can also run your PH meter and any media like carbon out of it.

reefshadow
01/15/2007, 09:47 PM
You also may be able to use flexible acrylic tubing to run the skimmer out of there, and discharge it into the display (hopefully this makes sense). I guess it depends on what kind of clearance you have between the brace and the top of the overflow. That would also mean that you are getting flow from the display, to the overflow and back to the display, so you wouldn't have to fear the heaters sensing an incorrect temp.

RedEyeElf
01/15/2007, 09:53 PM
drill small to medium sized holes, but acouple dozen, so pods and water can flow easily, you don't want to have crystal clear water in your overflow and a foggy tank because the skimmed water can't circulate

I converted a tank with overflows on eitherside to a main tank, with a filter side (skimmer, heater, return pump, carbon and random beat up fish and crabs that i find in my rock) and a refugium on the otherside with chaeto, some red flame algae, refugium mud and my little sexy shrimpy, works good

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 10:01 PM
I'm going to drill 6 1/4 inch holes on each side of the internal over flow, add a return pump into the bottom of it facing up and have some flexi hose running back into the display. I'm also going to add my two heaters and I'm PRAYING i can fit my skimmer onto it.

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 10:33 PM
ttt

RedEyeElf
01/15/2007, 10:56 PM
if you want to do it clean put in 2 direction jet bulkheads instead of just hose

xbambamx
01/15/2007, 11:43 PM
huh? I'm confused

xbambamx
01/16/2007, 12:24 AM
i'm gunna do PVC instead, leadng up then splitting in two different directions then use an elbow to direct the flow in whatever direction. :)

starmanres
01/16/2007, 12:54 AM
You are going to so much trouble to avoid a sump... Geez, spend $20 on a 10 gallon tank to put your heater and skimmer in and plumb it down. Set the pump to send it back up and be done with it. It will be a real pain to deal with the skimmer in the overflow and you already have the correct tank.

That way if you ever want to put in a 30 or 40 gallon sump with fuge below, you haven't screwed up all your options.

Just my .02

Robert

xbambamx
01/16/2007, 12:59 AM
a 10 gallon wont work for my 110 gallon tank. too small..

starmanres
01/16/2007, 01:27 AM
It will work better than going with no sump at all. All you want it to do is hold your skimmer and heater... a 10 will work fine for that. Your only concern is keeping the level low enough that if your pump shuts off for any reason it won't overflow.

You can work it out so much cheaper than trying to fit stuff in your overflow or taking it out and capping the holes.

RedEyeElf
01/16/2007, 08:34 PM
just go to home depot, 5 bucks for a check valve, should be able to run higher
but thats not the question

custom aquatic sells directional bulkheads, like you see in a jacuzzi so you can point them whereever, and change easy

cut a 1 1/4 inch (give or take, size up the bulkhead with a hole saw drill bit, so the bulkhead barely fits inside it) put bulkhead in , connect to pump

If you cut the large holes on either side, you should be able to put 2 pumps and returns inside that overflow

Honestly, a sump is a better plan, you would be better waiting till the next paycheck, and buying a 40gal tank from petco

xbambamx
01/16/2007, 08:47 PM
thanks for all the input yall!

Craig Lambert
01/16/2007, 09:05 PM
Pick up a used 40G breeder tank for dirt cheap, put some baffles in it, and you have a sump. This will allow you the option to upgrade your skimmer from an HOB to an in-sump which will be far more efficient than what you have now. You can plumb your sump for pennies with a return line and a mag pump. This will also give you a place to hide your heaters. It will also add 20G to your system for increased stability. You're throwing away the very benefit the tank was made for. JMO

spanglish
01/16/2007, 10:11 PM
Sump,Sump,Sump,Sump!

Everybody!