PDA

View Full Version : My Anenome...Finally!!

NewSaltyReefer
01/15/2007, 06:38 PM
Me and my girlfriend are proud parents of a Rose Anemone!! We have wanted one since we started the tank 1 year ago. So far it seems to be doing well. The sexy shrimp are all over it however the clown are not interested except to stay FAR away!!! Oh well, I will give them some time. Well here she is:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/joecarrano/Fish%20Tank/DSC02268.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/joecarrano/Fish%20Tank/DSC02269.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/joecarrano/Fish%20Tank/DSC02270.jpg

Any comments welcomed!! And any advice, this is my first time with an Anemone!!

Leo73173
01/15/2007, 06:43 PM
Congrats!!! I also have one... mine split about six months ago. I have a pair of gold stripped marroons. Have fun and good luck looks good

Leo73173
01/15/2007, 06:44 PM
Sorry meant to also say my marroons love my rbta. The female is about 3 times the size of my male and they both host both anemones

Randall_James
01/15/2007, 06:46 PM
Looks like a healthy fairly mature Anemone, congrats :)

The clown will probably cozy up soon enough :) Tank is a 55? if so, that little guy is going to open up and cover about half the tank as he gets a bit bigger (less than 6 months for sure).

I see your one inlet has a guard on it, make sure that there are no pump inlets for him to find (they are funny about that)

I would mix up its diet a bit (raw shrimp, silver-sides and I even feed squid). My beloved Flame Angel of 2 years got in a tangle with mine last night and was laying belly up on the floor of the tank this morning. :( tonight looks back to normal! :) dumb fish...

NewSaltyReefer
01/15/2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry to here about your loss Randall. Thanks for the menu, conveniently there is a fresh seafood store right next to my LFS!! No frozen, prepared foods for her!!

Randall_James
01/15/2007, 10:47 PM
Flame Angel appears to have survived its encounter... Bet he stays his distance from now on :)

Aquabucket
01/16/2007, 12:01 AM
Looking good! RBTAs are my favorate. As with all anenomes make sure you mince/chop up the food real well. Larger chunks will just be spit out later and not digested.

Good Luck!

frederickk
01/16/2007, 07:19 AM
Very nice RBTA.

NewSaltyReefer
01/16/2007, 07:21 AM
Thats funny Randall, I read the entire post but miss the last sentence...LOL :) Dumb Human!!

Glad to hear you didn't lose it!!

LOTUS50GOD
01/16/2007, 07:39 AM
Let the anemone settle in its place before adding corals... They often will walk around till they find a comfy spot.. once there they 'usually' stay.. I have 2 (master and clone) and they havent moved in 5 years... They are the size of basketballs though...

millstreetzoo
01/16/2007, 04:01 PM
I hope you have better luck than I did with the Os clowns and the RBTA. I had 2 Os clowns when I added my RBTA 6 months ago (a very large specimen). The clowns never hosted the RBTA. In fact after 6 weeks the RBTA ate one of the clowns........... The tank is a 12 gallon with just the 2 clowns, hermits, snails and a shrimp. Went to work everyone was fine - happy and healthy, came home - missing fish - no body to be found. Needless to say I removed the remaining Os clown to a different tank and got the RBTA a maroon clown which it loves! Maroon clowns are the natural host for an RBTA, although some have luck with other species - just not me I guess.

fighton03
01/16/2007, 04:06 PM
Leo,
I have a solo gold/marroon. I'm about to switch it from a 30 to a 125. It is hosting a bubble tip right now. If I switch the clown and the annenome to the new tank, would I be able to add another partner marroon/gold or should I just get 2 new ones?

Randall_James
01/16/2007, 08:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8997870#post8997870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by millstreetzoo
I hope you have better luck than I did with the Os clowns and the RBTA. I had 2 Os clowns when I added my RBTA 6 months ago (a very large specimen). The clowns never hosted the RBTA. In fact after 6 weeks the RBTA ate one of the clowns........... The tank is a 12 gallon with just the 2 clowns, hermits, snails and a shrimp. Went to work everyone was fine - happy and healthy, came home - missing fish - no body to be found. Needless to say I removed the remaining Os clown to a different tank and got the RBTA a maroon clown which it loves! Maroon clowns are the natural host for an RBTA, although some have luck with other species - just not me I guess. There are a number of reports of tank bred clowns that do not form a relationship with Anemones. Not really all that uncommon.

A RBTA in a 12 gallon tank was destined to fail from the start. As these guys get 12 to 18 inches in 5 or 6 months, the tank just is not physically large enough. Also keeping water quality in check is almost impossible unless you do water changes every other day.

There was a LFS here that tried the same thing in a nanocube and it failed miserably as well, so do not feel bad. They RBTA is one of the smaller Anemone's and 30 to 40G is about as small a tank as I would try and use considering the size of them.

dbrock12
01/16/2007, 10:46 PM
My RBTA was in my 180 for almost a year, with the two false percs showing no interest in it. Then one day the female took up residence in it with the male following a week or so later. They rarely leave it now.

Don