PDA

View Full Version : Critical Anemone

Qxsilver01
01/15/2007, 10:18 PM
So...my bro bought a heteractis magnifica, cause hes a compulsive shopper. Anyway he knows nothing about it, and all I know is that its one of the hardest anemones to keep in the world. I'm just curious on how to keep it alive.

(This thing is most likley gonna die, considering he just recently killed his sebae, and rose tip anemone at 3 weeks in his tank)..lol.

Please post if you have any tips, or personal experience with this species,.....thanks.

Qxsilver01
01/17/2007, 12:36 AM
Ah guess Im talking to myself lol. But I went over there and fixed his anemone back into shape, by clearing sand off the rock so that it had a clear substrate to grip onto. Then I repositioned the powerhead so that it wont topple over the anemone. My theory is to leave it alone for a week so it can properly stick, then blast it with the power head. At the moment direct powerhead, and even some indirect flow makes it topple over. I looks really droopy, but at least its alive and not all shriveled up. Another problm onto itself was during moval the anemone let out some weird chemical right out of its mouth and then it tightened up. SOMEONE HELP, PLX!!! lol

redvipe2010
01/17/2007, 01:30 AM
Lets see here, he killed a BTA which is considered difficult to keep, a sebae which is more difficult to keep, and a magnifica, which is most difficult to keep.

My suggestion: Give the poor fella a fighthing chance, take it back or let a local reefer take it in. Also tell your brother to stop buying without researching. This anemone doesn't deserve this, it will no doubt die in his care. He knows nothing about it and the help he could get here on RC will most likely be too late. He most likely doesn't have an established aquarium or appopriate lighting. Either way he sould not be keeping these delicate creatures This is so sad!

Qxsilver01
01/17/2007, 09:54 PM
Hes a novice trying to keep specimens that he dosent have the experience for, agreed. Thats why I suggested returning it as well, but he seems to think he can take care of it. I gave him all the adivce and research that I accumulated for the anemone and its now in his hands. Im done assisting him with something hes so stubborn about too. (Letting him learn it the hard way).

There are no longer any requirements for this post, as I will not be helping the person they are intended for.

redvipe2010
01/17/2007, 10:30 PM
He needs to get on RC and research! So sad!

55semireef
01/18/2007, 02:09 PM
I would have to say the Gigantea is the most difficult anemone out there to keep but a Ritteri is a close second. You should really tell your brother to return the H. Magnifica. These anemones need high random flow, strong lighting, stablility and you have to buy a healthy one to begin with to even have a chance at success with this anemone. If he killed a BTA, then something is seriously wrong.

redvipe2010
01/18/2007, 03:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9014023#post9014023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
I would have to say the Gigantea is the most difficult anemone out there to keep but a Ritteri is a close second. You should really tell your brother to return the H. Magnifica. These anemones need high random flow, strong lighting, stablility and you have to buy a healthy one to begin with to even have a chance at success with this anemone. If he killed a BTA, then something is seriously wrong.

These are both listed as "MOST" difficult in the FAQ section for anemones at the top of this forum. The anemones are listed in 3 categories. Difficult, More Difficult and Most Difficult. Doesn't really matter, either way, he won't be able to handle them.

55semireef
01/18/2007, 04:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9014672#post9014672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redvipe2010
These are both listed as "MOST" difficult in the FAQ section for anemones at the top of this forum. The anemones are listed in 3 categories. Difficult, More Difficult and Most Difficult. Doesn't really matter, either way, he won't be able to handle them.

That is just a rule of thumb. Most would say Gigantea that has owned both.

Amphiprion
01/18/2007, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9015151#post9015151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
That is just a rule of thumb. Most would say Gigantea that has owned both.

I think I would have to agree.

redvipe2010
01/18/2007, 08:50 PM
It's just a catagory, not really important in this case as to which is more difficult. That wasn't my point at all. Besides, lets not give him any ideas, he's likely to get a Gigantea next! God I hope not, that is a terrible thought!!!! LOL

55semireef
01/18/2007, 09:02 PM
I was just making a simple statement saying that the Gigantea was most difficult. I knew it was besides the point.

Is the anemone dead yet?

jk

lildraken
01/19/2007, 01:43 AM
Do you know why your brother killed his anemones? Is he really trying or is he just buying them and watching them slowly die without any conscience?
I thought that most beginners mistakenly kill their animals anyway. It's a part of learning and becoming a more experienced reefer. Don't knock the boy for trying! (if he is)
Speaking of killing anemones...I'm getting a new light fixture with eight 54 watt T-5 bulbs over a tank that is 29 inches tall. Is that good enough to keep rose BTA's?

redvipe2010
01/19/2007, 08:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9019310#post9019310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lildraken
Do you know why your brother killed his anemones? Is he really trying or is he just buying them and watching them slowly die without any conscience?
I thought that most beginners mistakenly kill their animals anyway. It's a part of learning and becoming a more experienced reefer. Don't knock the boy for trying! (if he is)
Speaking of killing anemones...I'm getting a new light fixture with eight 54 watt T-5 bulbs over a tank that is 29 inches tall. Is that good enough to keep rose BTA's?

Beginners should research before they buy an anemone, or anything else for that matter. Beginners shouldn't even have an anemone. I'm not knocking him for trying, but am for not knowing what he is doing. There is plenty of information available on these creatures, you just have to be willing to learn.

RobNJ
01/19/2007, 09:34 AM
That thing will nuke your whole tank if it dies.... Becareful with the Magnifica

lildraken
01/19/2007, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9020136#post9020136 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redvipe2010
Beginners should research before they buy an anemone, or anything else for that matter. Beginners shouldn't even have an anemone. I'm not knocking him for trying, but am for not knowing what he is doing. There is plenty of information available on these creatures, you just have to be willing to learn.

I agree with you on that, but until pet stores post a big sign on their display tanks then this will continue... and we all know that's not gonna happen. My point is that we were all beginners once (I think I still am after 2 years) and I don't know of anybody that's had a 100% success rate since they started. Maybe the LFS should have an "anemone shelter" or something where people can bring their doomed anemones to give them a fighting chance.

redvipe2010
01/19/2007, 11:29 AM
No, unfortunatly, that is not going to happen, LFS are in it for the money and don't care (most anyway, not all). An anemone shelter would be nice, but doubt a LFS would take on the responsibility, and I've seen some, that I wouldn't trust with an anemone. A local reefer with experience would be my suggestion.

55semireef
01/19/2007, 05:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9019310#post9019310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lildraken

I am going to have to disagree with you on this. There is a big difference in buying one anemone and failing and even buying another and failing. But to go out and buy a THIRD which happens to be the second most difficult to keep(imo) is just plain irresponsible. Remember, he is killing live animals which is not fair to nature at all. What I find even more frustrating is that he killed a Rose Bubble Tip which is very hard to kill. Even if I neglected my tank for 3 months, I don't think my RBTA's would die on me. There is plenty of research out there for him to have learned. I did a TON of research before I took on an anemone and that was when I was just getting a Condy! And I still had problems in the beginning. He is about to strike out if he kills this third anemone. Not impressive at all. :(

And yes, you can EASILY keep RBTA's with your T5 bulbs. If you want to see faster growth, keep them higher in the tank. Good luck.

redvipe2010
01/19/2007, 07:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9024050#post9024050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
What I find even more frustrating is that he killed a Rose Bubble Tip which is very hard to kill. Even if I neglected my tank for 3 months, I don't think my RBTA's would die on me. There is plenty of research out there for him to have learned. I did a TON of research before I took on an anemone and that was when I was just getting a Condy! And I still had problems in the beginning.

That is a rediculous statement, a BTA is still considered difficult to keep, If you think you can neglect your tank for 3 months, you obviously haven't done enough research. A BTA is not "very hard to kill." I sincerely hope nobody takes your advice!

55semireef
01/19/2007, 11:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9024985#post9024985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redvipe2010
That is a rediculous statement, a BTA is still considered difficult to keep, If you think you can neglect your tank for 3 months, you obviously haven't done enough research. A BTA is not "very hard to kill." I sincerely hope nobody takes your advice!

???

A BTA is considered difficult to keep by what standards? How many BTAS have you had and brought back to life?

A BTA is not very hard to kill when you don't have the correct enviroment. So yes your right on that. :thumbsup: I do however, have plenty of lighting, good water flow, stability, and good water parameters which is the ideal condition for a BTA. The BTA is the most forgiving anemone out of the clown hosting anemones. I am not saying that the BTA is easy to keep but for those that have kept much harder anemones, it is rather easy on a rule of thumb chart. Did you not read where I said when I first started, I had difficulties with a Condy? Of course I went through troubles as any beginner does with an anemone. Doesn't matter because what your saying is besides the point. I was saying that killing a RBTA and then wanting to try a Heteractis Magnifica is just plain dumb. Its like night and day between the two anemones. If you kill what is considered the most easiest anemone out there, and then try one of the hardest, you obviously havn't learned anything and havn't done the research.

Oh, and btw redvipe2010, before you call someone out like that again, have some experience under your belt besides quoting statements off the "anemones faq." ;)

redvipe2010
01/19/2007, 11:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9026533#post9026533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
???

A BTA is considered difficult to keep by what standards? How many BTAS have you had and brought back to life?

A BTA is not very hard to kill when you don't have the correct enviroment. So yes your right on that. :thumbsup: I do however, have plenty of lighting, good water flow, stability, and good water parameters which is the ideal condition for a BTA. The BTA is the most forgiving anemone out of the clown hosting anemones. I am not saying that the BTA is easy to keep but for those that have kept much harder anemones, it is rather easy on a rule of thumb chart. Did you not read where I said when I first started, I had difficulties with a Condy? Of course I went through troubles as any beginner does with an anemone. Doesn't matter because what your saying is besides the point. I was saying that killing a RBTA and then wanting to try a Heteractis Magnifica is just plain dumb. Its like night and day between the two anemones. If you kill what is considered the most easiest anemone out there, and then try one of the hardest, you obviously havn't learned anything and havn't done the research.

Oh, and btw redvipe2010, before you call someone out like that again, have some experience under your belt besides quoting statements off the "anemones faq." ;)

I'm sorry before you question my experience, whey don't you ask me. I've kept several, BTA's and rescued several! Why don't you quit acting like you know everything. You didn't say a BTA was easy to keep? Wow, you sure made it sound like that!!!! Maybe you should go back and read your thread! And "Easy on a rule of thumb chart? Hello??? It's considered "Difficult" do some more homework KID!!!! You gave "WRONG" information for the entire world to read! Basically, you always look for an arguement! You post crap, and think your always right! You are completely wrong and out of line! Unfortunately it's the new people on this thread that have to suffer because of post like yours!

Pufferpunk
01/19/2007, 11:53 PM
Hey, is this the same person that answers Qs for Bob Fenner at WetWebmedia? Redvipe really knows her anemones!

55semireef
01/20/2007, 06:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9026646#post9026646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redvipe2010
I'm sorry before you question my experience, whey don't you ask me. I've kept several, BTA's and rescued several! Why don't you quit acting like you know everything. You didn't say a BTA was easy to keep? Wow, you sure made it sound like that!!!! Maybe you should go back and read your thread! And "Easy on a rule of thumb chart? Hello??? It's considered "Difficult" do some more homework KID!!!! You gave "WRONG" information for the entire world to read! Basically, you always look for an arguement! You post crap, and think your always right! You are completely wrong and out of line! Unfortunately it's the new people on this thread that have to suffer because of post like yours!

Quote me where I said "a BTA is very easy to keep."

This argument your making is pointless. I am not going to sit here and feed the ego of a 12 year old kid that puts "!" after every sentense she types. :rolleyes:

This thread has exhausted itself. I am unsubscribing myself to this thread. Bye. :wavehand:

bluerug
01/21/2007, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9026646#post9026646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redvipe2010

All anemones are considered to be difficult to keep, but there are different levels of difficulty as in anything in life. The bta is considered to be the least difficult and the easiest of anemones to keep in your home aquarium, and i have no idea how someone can doubt that. Name one other clown hosting anemone that is easier to keep than a BTA. There is not one.

55semireef
01/21/2007, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9038158#post9038158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluecarpet
All anemones are considered to be difficult to keep, but there are different levels of difficulty as in anything in life. The bta is considered to be the least difficult and the easiest of anemones to keep in your home aquarium, and i have no idea how someone can doubt that. Name one other clown hosting anemone that is easier to keep than a BTA. There is not one.

:)

Slakker
01/21/2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, tis a good point. Either way it's a shame that anemones so often die at the hands of the under prepared/under researched aquarist. That's why I'll be doing plenty of reading before even setting up my tank in the first place...I may even go down to university book rental and get the Invertebrates textbook that one of the Bio classes uses.

zoomfish1
01/21/2007, 09:12 PM
I think the real point that is so aggravating to 55semireef, me and a lot of others is the advice we are asked to give is ignored so much of the time.

I know the original poster was talking about his brother. I get that. Again, its very frustrating sometimes to give honest, experienced advice and then have it completely ignored or even argued with. Just my 2 cents. Sorry to hijack, but the thread seems dead anyway.

Slakker
01/21/2007, 09:22 PM
Oh, yeah, I definitely understand that. That's why I keep reading and hanging around these forums even though I don't have a tank yet, because I'm just absorbing information constantly from you guys...and where better to get the "Do's and Dont's" than from the people who have had success? I think I've learned a LOT of stuff since I started reading this forum, and I appreciate it.

Random Aquarist
01/21/2007, 09:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9040290#post9040290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
Oh, yeah, I definitely understand that. That's why I keep reading and hanging around these forums even though I don't have a tank yet, because I'm just absorbing information constantly from you guys...and where better to get the "Do's and Dont's" than from the people who have had success? I think I've learned a LOT of stuff since I started reading this forum, and I appreciate it.

What he said.:D

Well, technically, I do have a tank. I have my live rock. But that's it.

Slakker
01/21/2007, 09:39 PM
I wish I did...I'm planning a 90g setup, but for now while I'm in the dorms I can't have more than 20g...so I'm thinking about buying the Eclipse 12 saltwater kit just to get started in the hobby so I can get some experience before I go straight for my big tank. Also, I think the little 12g would make a great QT tank for later on down the road.

zoomfish1
01/21/2007, 09:49 PM
It probably would as long as you don't put an anemone in it. HaHa.

55semireef
01/21/2007, 10:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9040212#post9040212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zoomfish1
I think the real point that is so aggravating to 55semireef, me and a lot of others is the advice we are asked to give is ignored so much of the time.

I know the original poster was talking about his brother. I get that. Again, its very frustrating sometimes to give honest, experienced advice and then have it completely ignored or even argued with. Just my 2 cents. Sorry to hijack, but the thread seems dead anyway.

I agree with you. I was giving my honest opinions and my experience and yet I was ridiculed by being accused that "my advice is wrong for the world to read" and "that I am completely out of line." I thought those comments were just plain rude but whatever.

Slakker and Random Aquarist, you guys are both doing a smart thing by researching first and absorbing all this information. I wish others would do this as well. This thread would never exist if the brother had researched his anemones before buying.

Slakker
01/21/2007, 10:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9040589#post9040589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zoomfish1
It probably would as long as you don't put an anemone in it. HaHa.

Oh, god no...I'd never put an anemone in a 12g...the 90, maybe, and definitely not before I had enough experience with different fish and inverts that I'd be confident enough that I would be able to provide it with the care it would need to be healthy.

o2zen
01/22/2007, 09:54 AM
Sadly most people do not go into a hobby with the "research then do it" point of view but rather a "I want to do this someday vision". Then one day they are standing in a LFS and the guy behind the counter says why not do it. Bingo, you now have a new reefer, with his new tank, his new fish, etc, based on what the LFS told him. He runs into problems, and then starts to research.

I know in my quest for understanding since I got into this myself alittle over a month ago I have visited 10+ boards, this one being the best, visited about 20 LFS in the area all of which gave me different points of views, etc. I am doing my best here but running into my own problems including blood sucking pests all in my first month. I started out with a Condy in my tank before any fish within a month of starting out because the LFS told me it would be no problem. Well the Condy is back at the LFS and I am trying to evolve myself in this hobby.

I am a diver but until I got into this hobby I only thought I knew about fish. The amount of data which I have consumed in the past month+ has really opened my eyes for the next dive I make. I will know more about the life I am seeing, where to find the life I am seeking, and all that. This hobby is going to increase my desire to dive and see things I will know by name now.

Anyway, its the LFS to blame for more newb's mistakes and you cannot blame the newb for not knowing because nobody does at first. Some people want flowing life in their tank right off the bat and guess where that leads them, to the LFS salesman bagging something they should not be saying sure your tank is good enough to keep an Anemone, you should get acouple clowns to go with that as well.

Slakker
01/22/2007, 10:11 AM
The point is people don't realize that when they kill something off, it's not "Shucks, go buy a new one." it's "Well...another one has to be brought in from the wild because that one didn't make it." Not to mention that these are living things that we're putting in an aquarium for our own selfish enjoyment...the least we can do for them is do the research to find out what they need to not only survive in a tank, but to really feel as much "at home" as possible.

The "Bingo" newbie is fine for freshwater, because It's pretty difficult to screw up a FW tank, especially if it's just tetras and guppies and stuff. Yeah, they're living creatures too, that deserve absolutely the best care, but fact is they're a lot more forgiving than absolutely anything in the marine environment, and almost all FW fish on the market are tank bred...no depletion of the natural population in the name of hobbyists.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I'm doing the research to get into this the right way, I want to do this because I care about preservation and conservation of the ocean. I believe that the ocean is our greatest resource and that we should take as much of a hands-off approach as possible, that includes collection for aquariums. If I am to potentially have an animal that was brought in from the wild, I am going to do everything in my power to know what that animal needs and how to accommodate it accordingly.

Think of it this way: You wouldn't bring a Panther from the wild to your home without doing any research first...so why fish?