PDA

View Full Version : new clam not attaching

Kigs
01/15/2007, 10:56 PM
i've placed it between rocks and it's not attatching. it is a maxima. is this a bad sign? i've been feeding it with phyto

a4twenty
01/16/2007, 07:41 AM
phyto doesn't hurt but isn't necessary.

from what your saying it sounds like you have the clam between two rocks? this may prevent the clam from opening. if he hasn't planted his foot, it usually means he isn't happy with his location. has he been trying to move?

bury a small flat rock ( oyster shell, clam shell ..... ) just below the surface of your sand. then place the clam on top of the rock and use some sand to prop him up. sometimes they attach right away ( a day or so ), other times it takes a week or more.

Kigs
01/16/2007, 06:40 PM
thank you for the advice! I will try that. Should I be feeding it anything at all? I heard that feeding is necessary for them to do well? The last clam I placed in my tank didn't do so well after a few months and I didn't feed it at all. So this time I figured I'd feed the clam, figuring that's what led to the downfall of the clam last time. The lighting is 70w HQI.

Lpabsolute
01/16/2007, 08:23 PM
I keep my clam on the bottom of my sandbed. If you want him to attatch give him a flat surface to stick to....

a4twenty
01/17/2007, 07:07 AM
70w MH is not very strong for a maxima. once he attaches i would suggest that you move him back up closer to the light. supplemental feeding is not necessary, if the clam is getting enough light. in your case i would continue with the feedings, it will not hurt. i keep my clams under 400W MH's and dose phyto 3 times a week.

what was your first clam? and where did you keep him on the tank?