PDA

View Full Version : How cold is to cold?

grinch77
01/16/2007, 04:04 PM
We have been having intermitent power outages here and there due to ice storms.But I was curious how cold is to cold for a reef tank?I have a battery backup power supply that last about a hour and a hlaf with a heater and a power head.But just in case that dies I also have a generator 20amp so I'm good to go on that area.

webbstock
01/16/2007, 06:32 PM
That is a good question. Short periods at a lower temperature isn't as bad as other possible catastrophes I can think of. As for a low temp. I would guess that once a tank dips below 70 F you would start to see trouble. Obviously, different fish/coral/inverts would have different tolerences to the temp change.

WaterKeeper
01/16/2007, 06:49 PM
Right it depends on what you keep. Fish and corals tend to suffer when temps hit 65° or lower for several hours. LR can tolerate 60° for some time. If you can heat water and place it in plastic bags to float in the tank that really does help.

WK, is wondering in what's in store for him because this is the second post tonight on the subject and it sounds like it is heading this way. :worried:

Poorcollegereef
01/16/2007, 07:54 PM
I was wondering since Prestone Driveway Heat produces alot of heat and some hobbiest have it for making a DIY calcium supplement that adding ziploc bags of the Driveway heat with some water might make a temporary heater, Im noy sure of the exact need/heat produced but it might be an option.