PDA

View Full Version : Ice storm killed everything

marschgator
01/16/2007, 05:53 PM
Hello all, I'm in the midwest trying to survive the bad ice strom, I lost power to my house and haven't gotten it back up yet, I've been without for almost 5 days now and needless to say everything in my tank is dead. I had fish, corals, inverts and such and my question is once the power comes on what the heck do I do? I know I have to get rid of all the water and carcasses but what about the corals? DO I throw them and the rocks they are on out? I s there any chance anything survived? DO I have to replace anything or just clean everyhting well and start again? Thanks for any advice I'm kinda bummed right now as I just made it past the month mark with my corals and the year mark with my fish.....everything was going so well!!!!!

A sea K
01/16/2007, 06:00 PM
Really sorry to hear such bad news. I live in Fl and need to start preparing for this problem myself before the next hurricane season starts. I can be of no help in answering your querry as I am relatively new here. I wish you the best of luck from here forward. Again very sad to hear of your situation.

BiggySmalls
01/16/2007, 06:08 PM
that sucks, i live in chicago and we havent had any power outages, hopefully we wont, i am not sure what to do

WaterKeeper
01/16/2007, 06:10 PM
Much depend on the temperature that the tank fell to. Much lower than 60° for any length of time and little will be salvageable. Unfortunately, this is not an isolated problem and a few times each year we get a similar story (or many of them with hurricanes and widespread power outages).

I'm really sorry about your loss. If the power comes back soon the LR may survive. Drain the tank, add new water and turn on the heat. After a couple of day check ammonia levels. If they are near zero then it is possible the LR made it through the episode. Hope it did.

WaterKeeper
01/16/2007, 06:13 PM
Let's dig up and oldie and see if it helps--the great power outage thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=419322&highlight=Power+outages+waterkeeper). You can also see a good example of Waterkeeper bashing over my wit (or half of it). :D