PDA

View Full Version : Crazy worm thing just happened

frogger1again
01/16/2007, 11:57 PM
This just happened....a worm that I've never seen before in my tank came up from the sandbed and created this little cloud that looks like a cotton ball and has hundreds of tiny white specs. I'm sure they are eggs. I didn't know worms layed eggs though. The worm was a little smaller than the diameter of a pencil and was at least 4 inches (at least the section I could see) The actual worm was a pinkish/red color and segmented. I at first thought it was a bristle but it was smooth and didn't have any spikes. Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks

frogger1again
01/17/2007, 12:02 AM
Ok, I think I just identified this thing on one of the worm pages...it looks like a Capitellidae worm also known as a lug worm. Anyone know if these are bad and should I quickly siphon out the little ball of eggs.

kookerson
01/17/2007, 08:43 AM
Not too experienced with worms........but everytime I read about some weird, alien cloud being emmited into the water..... it usually isnt good! : )

turbo2oh
01/17/2007, 08:59 AM
At least you saw what created it. When I introduced a few new members to my clean up crew I noticed something similiar (maybe because i was looking so closely at the sandbed), not sure if it was from a tank inhabitant or it hitchiked its way in a decided to siphon it out rather than risk the possible spawning of some unknown creature :)

boomsticks
01/17/2007, 09:40 AM
Lug's are harmless and the spawing would just produce food for corals/inverts the larvae as well would be eaten before they could mature into worms.

frogger1again
01/17/2007, 02:15 PM
I ended up just leaving them alone. The little ball of eggs is still there. I imagine it will be gobbled up soon. I was able to find some articles by Dr Ron that put my mind to rest... man I was panicking. :eek: I'd never seen a worm like this before

LeslieH
01/17/2007, 03:04 PM
These are called egg sacs or coccoons. Eggs are embedded in a mucus matrix which contains chemicals to protect the developing embryos from predators. A number of different worms (and molluscs & other things) produce them. Harmless.