PDA

View Full Version : need help on skimmer size

tagraham
01/17/2007, 12:40 AM
i am brand new to this and im wondering what size skimmer i need (in gph) if i have a 180 gl tank and a 1oo gallon custome refugium and sump? any help would be nice. i am trying to figure it all out befor i start this project in a few months. thank you

bertoni
01/17/2007, 12:56 AM
[welcome]

You could look at the Euro-Reef skimmers. I'd pick one rated for a 180g tank. ASM, Deltec, and H&S skimmers have also gotten good reviews in that size range.

brandonst878
01/17/2007, 10:25 AM
You want to pick a skimmer based on your total water volume. Most people suggest getting a skimmer rated higher than the volume of water in their system because of inefficiencies in skimmers and pumps. First you need to determine how much water is in your system and go from there.

tagraham
01/17/2007, 01:21 PM
also is that the same for a calcium reactor?

bertoni
01/17/2007, 01:40 PM
The size of the skimmer and the calcium reactor are based on the demands of the system, which vary with a lot of factors. The display tank size is the best guess, in my opinion, unless you intend to grow corals in the refugium.

tagraham
01/17/2007, 01:49 PM
so i need to base these two things on the size of the display not the total water volume?

bertoni
01/17/2007, 04:09 PM
Well, I would ignore the total water volume, personally. Adding a 100g refugium reduces the stress on a protein skimmer, not the other way around, unless the refugium is used to hold more fish. Same logic for a calcium reactor, in my opinion.

If the refugium holds non-calcareous macroalgae (like Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha) and small animals, like amphipods and copepods, it won't consume calcium or produce skimmer load.

Tashier
01/17/2007, 06:06 PM
I would get one rated for at LEAST the volume of your tank. You can always skim less with it if needed but not more. Some of the limiting factors on this is how much room you have available, how much money you want to spend on the skimmer and on power for the pump etc.

bertoni
01/17/2007, 06:22 PM
The manufacturer's ratings are very subjective, so you might want to oversize. That's independent of the refugium size, though.

sjm817
01/17/2007, 06:34 PM
Some...many....ok....MOST mfgrs way overrate their skimmers. This is why you typically see people using a skimmer twice the "rated" size tank. There are some skimmer mfgrs who use realistic ratings.

tagraham
01/17/2007, 07:49 PM
awsome advise, fortunatly i am willing to spend some money and i have lots of room. all the pluming will go into a room in the basement dedicated to the reef. so any cool suggestions ore advise is welcome. when i begen the tank (tax returen will start it all off) i will post step by step pics for everyone to cretique*

markandkristen
01/17/2007, 08:54 PM
i would go with the rc250 by euroreef