PDA

View Full Version : Ich?

mbrungardt
01/17/2007, 08:15 AM
I have noticed recently that my yellow tang appears to be salted...all indications from what I read is that this is a symptom of ich.

There are other unusual circumstances:

From what I read Ich in and of itself does not create the white spots and they are actually casued by a smaller Protozon that gets under the skin and casues the spots.

This being the case, I have the white spots that are suspended in the water too and at the surface. If you look acorss the surface, there is a fair amount of the white specs just floating.

My tank is set up for Berlin style with LR, sand and a Bak Pak 2R skimmer. Water chemistry has been in the desireable ranges, except for being slightly low on the calcium (380), last I checked.

I do not currently have a particle filter.

Some of the white specs can even be seen shooting through the powerheads. The spots on the fish alone would make me more confident in the diagnosis, but I am confused by the suspended specs. Any suggestions?

Also, my dottyback has a couple of specs on him, but my only other two fish, a pair of clowns, have none.

Thanks for any advice.

bertoni
01/19/2007, 06:35 PM
The only cure for marine ich would be to set up a hospital tank and treat all the fish in it. I'd do hyposalinity for 8 weeks. These articles might help:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature/index.php

BurntOutReefer
01/19/2007, 06:36 PM
just a matter of time before you have a full infestation.....
Do as Bertoni suggests

kfowler
01/19/2007, 08:02 PM
I'd do 6 but 8 will certainly do it.

Berek
01/21/2007, 12:54 AM
I noticed my Regal Tang started getting spots. There was probably 6-12 that came and went several times over the course of a 2 week period. I was in the process of setting up a sump so could have delayed that and turned it into a hospital tank. However I noticed a product on one of the lfs websites called Vertonex. As it wasn't very expensive I decided to give it a try. After 1 week from the end of the 4 dose period I have yet to spot (pun intended) any white spots back. Seems to be a cure for me. Your mileage may vary. No fish, coral, crabs, anems or snails seemed to be affected by the treatment.