PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Glue Recommendation Needed

FishDad2
01/17/2007, 12:44 PM
I've used cyanoacrylate (superglue) to bond frags of acropora to small rocks and plugs, but that work is done outside the tank, where I can dry the surfaces to be bonded.

What about bonding a frag to a rock that's too big to remove from the tank?

In some cases I've used AquaStik, but despite the name, it's not really all that sticky and the bond isn't nearly as tough as cyanoacrylate. I'm looking for something that's sticky (like cyanoacrylate) but will bond underwater (like AquaStik), and of course is reef-safe.

Suggestions please.

Thanks,
Chris

gosaints
01/17/2007, 12:48 PM
i've used the gel type of super glue under water

FishDad2
01/17/2007, 12:57 PM
I've used the gell on wet frags outside the tank and I have trouble getting it to bond to the wet surfaces...have much better luck when they're dry. I've been reluctant to try it in the tank for that reason...don't want it to fail and end up with a big spot of goo on the side of rock.

Just wondering what the alternatives are.

rustybucket145
01/19/2007, 03:06 PM
with the gel underwater I squirt a small spot on the spot to be glued, then rub it in with my finger making sure it is bonded to the rock. Then do the same to the other rock you want to glue. Then with the thin layers attached to the big rocks squirt a pretty big glob on one of the gel (partially or fully dry by now) and sandwich the two togther.

The basis of this is that the glue bonds to itself quicker and better than pretty much anything else. So once you get thin layers bonded to the rocks all you have to do is bond the thin layers together. :D

You will get some on your fingers but it peels right off outside the tank.

dustin323
01/19/2007, 04:06 PM
I have used cyanocrylate aka Super Glue underwater. Just be quick with it. You can apply it on the frag outside the tank & really quick place it underwater. Or you can just squirt it out of the tube underwater just make sure to use the foil packs not like a bottle so it don't suck water in it.

FishDad2
01/19/2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks...good point about not using the bottle.

sgwill122
01/20/2007, 09:09 PM
Always used superglue gel which can be used wet or dry, when wet it sets faster.