PDA

View Full Version : QT tank setup

zigrat88
01/17/2007, 01:47 PM
Just want to know what type of filter or anything else I need for a QT tank? I have a 15 gallon I was using as a sump I was planning on using. Have a 200W heater, but I need to know what else is necessary.

Thanks!

J. Montgomery
01/17/2007, 02:15 PM
I have a Whisper 3 hang on the back filter that contains activated carbon and sponges for bacterial growth (I had it left over from my freshwater days, probably overkill on a 10 QT).

You'll want some type of lighting (preferably on a timer), enough to see the fish (better if you're going to put corals into the QT); I have a 18W fluorescent bulb.

Other than that, not too much is needed. You already have a heater; I have a separate thermometer that I keep in the QT. I painted the back, bottom, and one side of the tank black. I keep a MJ600 in my QT also for some better waterflow (its on the same timer as the light, so it goes off at night). Eggcrate to keep your fish from jumping out of QT.

Its good that you're setting up QT.

zigrat88
01/17/2007, 02:34 PM
I've heard people say they keep the sponges in there main sump so they have the benificial bacteria in them when they setup the QT, is that what needs to be done?

Also I was just planning on putting the tank next my new tank since the light shines right through

kfowler
01/17/2007, 02:34 PM
I have a MJ 400, Aqua Clear Mini filter, and 75 watt heater for mine. Other nice items to have are the ammonia alert badges.

Osmotic Shock
01/17/2007, 02:46 PM
That's exactly what I do with the sponges. Keep them in the sump of your main tank that way when you set up the QT the benefitial bacteria will already be there and there will be no to minimal cycle of your QT.

spmedi
01/17/2007, 03:35 PM
after you do the QT do you put your sponge back in? If not what do you do w/ it.

I'm doing to get a QT together w/ a 5.5 I have. I just want to get all the stuff and have it so I can set it up when I need it.

Thanks,

Mental1
01/17/2007, 03:39 PM
you throw the sponge out after it's been used -- just keep one going all the time in the sump and you can put it in when and if you want to use the QT again. I am not sure how long you can keep the sponges in there! (-: So get extra sponges -- that's what I did.

kfowler
01/17/2007, 03:50 PM
One reason I like the Aqua Clear filters is that they make these bio cube bags that you put in your sump and then in your filter when you need to QT. Sponges work great also.

Fermat
01/17/2007, 04:02 PM
A good article on QTs:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

Includes info and suggestions on setting up... Lighting, filters, etc.

blufyre3
01/17/2007, 04:12 PM
I also use Aqua Clear. When I need to set up my Q-Tank I use water from my display. After it's going for a couple of weeks I do NSW changes.

zigrat88
01/17/2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2...ature/index.php link, great article, but I have a couple of questions

1) the sponge filter for filtration, can you just put the sponge in your sump and not have the filter turned on to get enough good bacteria?

2) So QT for a month is good pratice, how many water changes should you do? I'm planning on a 15G QT tank, maybe a gallon or two a week?

3) When doing a dip on a fish, this should be done before QT, right?

zigrat88
01/17/2007, 10:50 PM
bump on my questions :D

mikeandjenn99
01/18/2007, 06:25 AM
You will get plenty of bacteria just by having a sponge in the sump, no need to actually run the filter. I have a 20g QT, and I change 5g every week (mainly just because I do the same for my main tank). So I'd change probably 2g a week if I were you. If you're going to do dips, do it before, but I'd not automatically do dips personally. Dips can really stress fish out, and you may not actually need to do one. Why subject your fish to one if it isn't needed? Just my $.02

kfowler
01/18/2007, 07:27 AM
BTW, IMO, do the QT for 6 weeks, not 4.