PDA

View Full Version : Dead Mangrove?

acidlittle
01/17/2007, 02:59 PM
So I have one single solitary mangrove branch...

I have had it for awhile but it has never rooted, how can I get it to root? Or is it just dead?

thanks all
josh

graveyardworm
01/17/2007, 05:01 PM
Does it have leaves on it?

acidlittle
01/17/2007, 05:21 PM
nonot really...

Samala
01/17/2007, 06:08 PM
Does it have any stalk growth? Any leaves at all? Any root tissue at all coming from the bottom? Final question, have you had it over two months in a typical saltwater environment (normal salinity, normal light, etc)?

If you can answer No to any of the first three, and yes to the last, it is most likely a dead propagule. They root quickly once they find suitable conditions.

>Sarah

acidlittle
01/17/2007, 11:50 PM
so when they die do they stay solid and alive looking, cos it doesn't look like it has roots or leaves....

graveyardworm
01/18/2007, 10:12 AM
Is this a branch or a propagule/seed. If its a branch then most likely its dead. If its a propagule then there may still be a chance.

Yes they will stay solid unless they're in an environment which is favorable to rot. It can be difficult to tell if a propagule is dead.

How long have you had it, and how have you cared for it? These questions are irrelevant if its a branch.

acidlittle
01/18/2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah it's a branch, got it with some rock I bought and it has remained in the same state since so I'm assuming it's dead, that sucks I really like the look of them. Oh well...thanks

seove
09/02/2016, 09:35 AM
I have a stalk that has not been looking good for about six months. It has had no leaves and was completely submerged for all those months. It didn't disintegrate so I just left it standing. After discovering this thread yesterday, decided to look at the roots. It has had no leaves for all those months. It has new root growth! I now place it above the water line and hope that it will start to grow.