PDA

View Full Version : Sundial snails?

TONY DELBRIDGE
01/17/2007, 03:25 PM
Recently I have noticed my tank is COVERED in very small snails. Most are very small white with brown markings. I have heard the sundials eat zoos, I hope I do not have this type!! I recently switched from a 70 MH light on a 24 Nano to a 150 MH with (2) T5's (Current Outer Orbit). I started with only a few hours at a time in order to get the corals adjusted. I have noticed many of my colonies are dying off instead of looking great as usual. Still not sure if it's the light addition or the snail problem. How can I tell if I have sundials or not. If so, how do I get rid of them without hurting my zoos? All my other polythoa, leathers, star polyps, tubinaria, etc still look great. The snails primarily come out out night. In the day, they hide in the live rock. Although I do see some in the zoos, many colonies remain unaffected, while some are totally fading away..HELP before I loose any more of my collection.

akrimmel
01/17/2007, 03:56 PM
do you know what the sundial actually looks like?

ficklefins
01/17/2007, 06:39 PM
Tony,

Check out this page to help you with a sundial ID.
http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=424

TONY DELBRIDGE
01/18/2007, 01:57 PM
Hmmmm... The ones in my tank do not look to have a "tiled" texture on the shell. Coloration is similiar (white with brown markings). Mine look to be much smaller than these and do not look like these from a side view. Have not seen antenna like these in picture. I was told sundials have a flap when closed up, Do not think mine has these. At night, the walls of my tank are covered with these. I suspect if these were sundials my zoos would be gone by now. In pictures, these look to move in a vertical position, the ones in my tank move like on a normal snail, from the bottom. Any advise on getting rid of these? Maybe they are not harmful..