PDA

View Full Version : Clueless LFS, sick stock, I'm just baffled (rant)

ACBlinky
01/17/2007, 04:06 PM
I just returned home and want to share my frustration with people who understand. It's been about six months since I last visited this LFS, and I can't believe how far they've slid downhill! I've seen quite a few rants here on RC, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, but this used to be a half-decent store.

The first thing I noticed was that the tanks were a mess and half the stock wasn't priced. Then I saw two clear food storage containers upsidedown in a 60g tank, and a pricetag for octos -- presumably the poor things were being kept in these tiny tubs to prevent them from escaping. There was a blue-spotted ray in the same tank, along with a miserable looking jawfish.

Then I saw the big reef tank, which used to be gorgeous. Now it's 220g of dying corals and fighting fish. I didn't see ONE healthy coral -- everything was bleached, with tissue recession or retracted polyps, it was sad. The worst part is that they weren't even willing to let the sick corals go for low prices -- there was a tiny open brain with absolutely no colour, its condition was so bad that most LFSs would probably have thrown it out or sold it for $5, they wanted nearly full price for it. I don't think the guy selling them even knew how sick they all were, it was heartbreaking.

One of the employees was scraping a thick coat of green algae off the sides of the 220g, and when I pointed out a 1/2" nudi and mentioned that he might want to get it out of the tank, he laughed and said 'no way, that's a baby spanish dancer!' I could only roll my eyes -- it was clearly the type of predatory nudi that feeds on leathers, I've found a few (along with the damage they cause) on newly acquired leathers before. He proceeded to tell me that there were 'loads of them in there, and when they grow up they get all purple and orange.' As I held my tongue, he said 'it's amazing, we have no idea what they're eating, but they're living!' *Sigh* I bet those droopy, chewed up leathers know what the nudis are eating :rolleyes:

Before I left, I took a look at an interesting rock that had shrooms, leathers and a few other frags attached. It was pretty, until I noticed that it was positively crawling with predatory flatworms.

The last thing I saw as I hightailed it out of the store was a tank stuffed with dying 3/4" baby ocellaris clowns. They were scrawny and breathing rapidly... and no doubt spreading whatever illness they were carrying throughout the entire, connected system of tanks on the same wall. I don't think I'll ever go back, everything I saw was awful. It's stunning how people can treat animals so poorly and still sleep at night.

The only good thing to come out of this experience was how happy I was to come home to my own tank -- it's far from perfect and may never be TOTM, but at least I can say that everything's thriving and healthy.

Tashier
01/17/2007, 04:08 PM
Yuck, that doesn't sound too good. Has there been a change in ownership or personnel? I wonder why they've taken such a dive. Did you say anything?

ACBlinky
01/17/2007, 04:16 PM
Yes, forgot to mention that -- they lost both managers (SW and general) a while back. There's a new manager, someone who has been a supervisor there for ages, who should know better IMO but is definitely letting things slide.

And yes, I did say something. I said as much as I could without losing my temper, nothing I said made a difference. I do understand that employees paid just over minimum wage don't have the most motivation, and can't blame them for slacking off if management isn't doing their job, but when you're caring for animals I just can't abide that kind of neglect without getting upset. I wouldn't have minded seeing algae everywhere, dirty tank fronts, things like that, but everything I saw neglected was something alive that deserved much better treatment. A dirty store isn't the nicest to look at, but at least it doesn't hurt the animals.

fishyz
01/17/2007, 06:01 PM
It's sad when you think about it. There must be hundreds of fish stores that don't know anything about keeping fish. We just shouldn't support them, buy all your supplies from other LFS's.

Amphiprion
01/17/2007, 06:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9006439#post9006439 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ACBlinky
Yes, forgot to mention that -- they lost both managers (SW and general) a while back. There's a new manager, someone who has been a supervisor there for ages, who should know better IMO but is definitely letting things slide.

And yes, I did say something. I said as much as I could without losing my temper, nothing I said made a difference. I do understand that employees paid just over minimum wage don't have the most motivation, and can't blame them for slacking off if management isn't doing their job, but when you're caring for animals I just can't abide that kind of neglect without getting upset. I wouldn't have minded seeing algae everywhere, dirty tank fronts, things like that, but everything I saw neglected was something alive that deserved much better treatment. A dirty store isn't the nicest to look at, but at least it doesn't hurt the animals.

I understand how you feel. It is even more frustrating to feel that way when you work at an LFS and have a sympathetic manager leave and a new, unsympathetic one step in.

r00onmac
01/17/2007, 06:23 PM
I also feel your pain... we have a fairly respectable LFS here that constantly mis-labels fish... i politely correct them and they say "oh thanks" and NEVER change it... its almost ridiculous.

Also, their invertabrate tanks (including things like a beautiful blue gigantea i saw last week) are housed in 8x8x8 connected cubes with 1x 10k and 1x actinic VHO bulbs over each set of 4-5 cubes... i hope someone bought that gigantea beacuse if they didnt im sure its almost dead... if its still there next time i go back i may buy it and turn my 20 L into a species tank just to save its life for a while and find it a suitable home...

kookerson
01/17/2007, 06:46 PM
Its amazing how LFS's stay in business. I went to this place the other day, its been owned by this old lady for over 20 years....... a total mess, kinda like the ACBlinky's LFS. I went in to ask her about Protein skimmers....... before I could finish, she said that they are all useless and overrated. So, before i took a quick 180 outa there, i asked her about how she does her maintenance, seeing as her tanks looked horrendous..........apparently, scraping the algae off the tank and topping the tanks off with tap water is more than sufficient......maybe she should hook up with petco?

goulashriot
01/17/2007, 07:27 PM
protein skimmers usless eh? sounds like a store that is near my house...

my friends and i call it "stinkys pet emporium".

the store smells horrible, death horrible, possibly worse than the local petco even. half the lights are off all the time, its terrible. amazingly enough most of the tanks are spotless, despite the fact that he uses undergravel filters... for everything. salt water, fresh water, it doesnt matter at stinkys. no protein skimmers here!

he has a coral tank, or should i say bubble algea propagation system.

i could go on and on, but you get the point. there are stores like this everywhere you go, its kind of rediculous that someone would operate a store without doing the proper research. ive seen so many tangs in 10 gallon tanks, and other rediculous crap, its sickening.

alan214
01/17/2007, 07:29 PM
Maybe they'll be having their going out of business sale soon.

kookerson
01/17/2007, 08:24 PM
even if my LFS had a going outa business sale..... i think i would still pass!