PDA

View Full Version : Austin white lime and Dow flake

jag1979
01/17/2007, 09:25 PM
is non-food grade lime from Austins White Lime Co. good for limewater?

is this a good place to buy Dow flake? is this a good source for calcium hydroxide?

http://www.ecleaningsupplier.com/icemelt.asp?Order_Flag=1&Quantity=1&Description=+DOWFLAKE+%2D+50+LB%2E+BAG&Message=Dowflake%AE+and+Peladow%AE+Premier+Snow+and+Ice+Melter&Alert=0&SRCH_DESCRIPTION=&SRCH_MANUFACTURER=&SRCH_ID=&SRCH_CATEGORY=&PageNo=&RowCount=

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/18/2007, 03:53 PM
Seems like a fine place to buy Dowflake, but I do not know how the price compares to stores local to you.

I can't say if non food grades of calcium hydroxide are OK. Be careful that some products called lime are not even calcium hydroxide, but may just be ground limestone.

jag1979
01/18/2007, 04:37 PM
thanks, I guess I should just stick to mrs. wages...just trying to save a buck as usual. If it is calcium hydroxide is it still a risk due to impurities? It is only 5.99 for 50 pounds which makes me think it might be too good to be true, compared to 3.50 a pound for Mrs. wages.

I wish I could buy some dow flake at a store here but no one has it, I have checked HD, Lowes, Wal-mart and the grocery stores. We don't get a lot of ice here and when we do I think people use salt instead of mag or calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/19/2007, 06:32 AM
Calcium hydroxide just indicates that it is the right primary chemical, but may or may not be adequately pure. There are bulk brands that can be food grade and are no more expensive than what you have, but they are not easy to find.