PDA

View Full Version : SAND BED elevated!!!!!!!!

MAKAVELI 77
01/18/2007, 04:26 AM
I was just thinkin of a cool idea. For my 30 gal finnex tank.the idea is to make my back right corner of my tank like a shelf.Made out of egg crate and plexy glass,pvc pipe. So i can like elevate my sand bed like another level of the ocean bottom.And at the same time makin like a dark cave..

PS... if anybody has done this Sand Bed elevated, please post pics.:D

SpektralerSpeer
01/18/2007, 07:55 AM
Hi MAKAVELI 77,

I have done exactly that in my tank, using PVC piping, egg crate and then flat rocks on top. It works really well and my shrimps can travel from one side of the tank to the other underneath the sand bed. However, a bit sand tends to shift off the edge every now and then, needing to be put back. This doesn't really cause any problems though.
I'll try to post some pics for you a bit later,

Paul

MAKAVELI 77
01/18/2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks alot SPEER, I will post my progress of my 2 tanks i will be setting up next week, I am downsizing my 55 gal reef to 30 gal finnex and a 20 finnex..

ps. I will show how i build the sb shelving, thinking about attaching plexy glass under the eggcrate elevate that with pvc pipes , reason for the plexy is so that the sand doesnt fall throught.

Just thought it will add a cool effect for the tank.

SpektralerSpeer
01/18/2007, 09:46 AM
You are right to use the plexiglass, if I would have done anything differently it would have been that. There are some small gaps between the flat rocks I used that I filled with broken coral pieces (I don't know the proper name for it). Unfortunately my clumsy Archaster stars occasionally dislodge these and sand falls through...

Paul