PDA

View Full Version : Ph Controller Advice

lpkirby
01/18/2007, 12:24 PM
I have a Pinpoint PH Controller and I spilled some saltwater on the controller and it is totally going crazy after it was dried out. It show all readings in a negative number and will not calibrate. So here is the question, Do I send in the controller to be repaired (I was told it would be $140.00 to replace the guts) or buy a new controller of a different kind.
So if I should replace what do you all recommend or what do you use on your Calcium Reactors?

Anybody use a Milwaukee SMS125, it has a Ph and an ORP?

Thanks,

Leon

crumbletop
01/18/2007, 01:17 PM
If you are looking at a $140 repair, you could investigate an aquarium controller as an option. Since you already have a pH probe, you could just get a controller without the probe. For example, you could get an AquaController Jr. with an 8-outlet power strip for $224.95, hook your pH probe in and you'd be good to go. Temp control, light timer, etc.

lpkirby
01/18/2007, 01:25 PM
Will that still allow me to control my Calcium Reactor?

Thanks will go and read up on it.

lpkirby
01/18/2007, 01:29 PM
Seems interesting and yea I have the probe since it does not come with one. Are they easy to use?

crumbletop
01/18/2007, 01:36 PM
pretty easy. It takes a bit of getting used to it, but basically you put in simple statements to tell it what to do. Things like:

IF TIME > 10:00 THEN LT1 ON (turn light 1 on at 10am)
IF TIME > 19:00 THEN LT1 OFF (turn light 1 off at 7pm)
IF TIME > 11:00 THEN LT2 ON (turn light 2 on at 11am)
etc.

or
IF TEMP <78.6 THEN HTR ON (heater on if temp < 78.6)
etc.

For controlling a Ca reactor, often people use a dual pH probe setup. One for the tank pH and one for the effluent pH. The AC Jr. only has an option for 1 ph probe, so you'd have to pick one or the other. The more expensive AquaControllers allow more than one pH probe.

lpkirby
01/18/2007, 01:39 PM
Wow, seems easy, Sounds like a computer programming class I took. LOL

I am checking them out, Thanks

lpkirby
01/18/2007, 05:30 PM
I have looked it over and I guess my question is it really worth it? Everything is on timers already and I only need to control my Calcium Reactor. So is it worth the upgrade to the Jr.?

Thanks,
Leon

crumbletop
01/18/2007, 07:20 PM
If you need/want something for temperature control, then I think it would be worth it. I almost cooked my tank once because a heater stuck on, and that is what precipitated me getting an aquarium controller. I have my heaters to cut off at 80, and I have my controller set to turn them on/off around 78.8 degrees or so. That way if the controller ever failed _on_, then the heaters would also have to fail _on_ in order to cook the tank. I also have it programmed to cut the lights one by one if the temp continues to rise. That program saved me once over the summer when I switched lighting and didn't have enough fans to control the heat. I came back from work one day to a dark tank, but the temp was okay (83 degrees). Without the controller I likely would have had some issues.

So basically, if you have or see a need for temp control, or for the wavemaker functions, etc, then I think it would be worth it. If not then you are no worse off (and a few $ saved) by sticking with just the pH monitor.

lpkirby
01/18/2007, 08:18 PM
ok, guess it is time to go and butter up the wifey.
Thanks crumbletop.

Leon