PDA

View Full Version : It's a sad day.

tprize
01/18/2007, 02:51 PM
So I no longer have a salt water aquarium. I sold it to my roomates father to help cover the cost of books this semester. It's not to bad because he is new to the hobby so I get to help with coral selection and care. It's also nice because the fish have a new finex 30g home with much better lighthing and equipment then i could provide. Still it's sad because I no longer have a reef, and I am trying so so hard to just hold out untill after this semester when I am working and can afford one again. So leave some words of support that even though I'm out of the hobby now that I can return and will love it again just as much.

davocean
01/18/2007, 02:54 PM
Many have taken a break and come back.
School is probably about the best reason I can think of.
After you're all edgeamacated, you'll have a better job and can afford this hobby...AND life!

SDguy
01/18/2007, 03:00 PM
I sold both my FO and reef tanks when I went to college. Between the studying, moving all the time, being broke, and, ehem, well partying :D , it's one of the best times to not have a tank, IMHO/E.

cubber
01/18/2007, 03:42 PM
When I went to college and had to live in dorms where they didn't allow tanks I got a job at a LFS to help get my "fix". As soon as I was out of the dorms I started up my tanks again and had the added advantage of the employee discount at the store. Made things much easier on the wallet for a poor college student!

lpkirby
01/18/2007, 06:15 PM
I am in School now that i am out of the Military, but married and own a house. My problem is trying to focus on the books and not playing with my reef. But it is a good relaxer at exams..
Don't worry you will be back.

Leon

jjk82901
01/18/2007, 07:21 PM
and you'll be able to afford the tank of your dreams.

blueseahorse
01/18/2007, 07:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9014795#post9014795 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cubber
I got a job at a LFS to help get my "fix".
Fantastic idea! I hope you find a job at an LFS while in school or better yet, if you're lucky to live near some great aquariums like we are spoiled with here in So. Cal, spend some time there. OR better yet, find a GF/BF with the hobby! I am lucky to still be able to enjoy my ex's tank! It pays to stay friends...I think I'm more in love with his tank than I was with him! (Just kidding...) :lol: :lol: :eek1: :lol:

davocean
01/18/2007, 09:12 PM
^ yeah, you know your tank is nice when it has it's own stalker!LOL (just kidding back, and I know you only dated me for my tank!)

blueseahorse
01/18/2007, 09:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9017589#post9017589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
LOL (just kidding back, and I know you only dated me for my tank!)
No, I actually dated you for your excellent carpentry skills and hot surfing skills in the most trecherous of waves and THEN I saw your awesome tank and knew you'd make a fantastic dad due to your most superior reefkeeping skills! But we're here to cheer up "Tprize" who is having a sad day...TPRIZE good luck! Hope this could make you laugh...as for you Davocean...I'll talk to you later!:beer:

SDguy
01/18/2007, 09:59 PM
Did I accidentally fall into the lounge? :D

blueseahorse
01/18/2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah, sorry...I forgot the whole world was reading!

Lunchbucket
01/18/2007, 10:07 PM
who buys books. i did the 1st 2 semesters and then never did after that

Lunchbucket

tprize
01/18/2007, 10:40 PM
I don't even know why I'm in school to be honest. It's more for my parents, and to give me some time.

I own my own company
http://www.tavproductions.com
And am part owner of the amateur skateboarders hall of fame, so school is not to neccassary. Though I have learned alot and it's given me time to work on my skills as a business man.

Plus now I can make lots of money thought there is a big question in my future

Nano
or Large tank.

Who knows anyway I want a 3 gallon picco and I have to keep hitting my hand going NO! because it still costs alot to care for. Ohh well at least I can go see my roomates dad's tank and dream.

:(

tprize
01/18/2007, 10:43 PM
Also since when do girls keep reefs??? I thought they had cats.

Kigs
01/18/2007, 10:57 PM
I feel your pain man. I had to BEG my RA to let me keep my AP24 in the dorms since the limit was 10g or less. But. Once she saw how beautiful and awesometastic my tank was, she made a quiet exception for me. :lol:

Man I wish my girlfriend was into reefkeeping. Even though...she's starting to give in after all these years. This christmas, a gift certificate of $75 to a local LFS. :D Got myself a nice clam and few frags. Not a bad start at all.

tprize
01/18/2007, 11:01 PM
My girlfriend is into reef watching that is her hobbie I build she sits.

davocean
01/19/2007, 12:02 AM
All reefers should make sure their GF or BF is reefsafe!

Sk8r
01/19/2007, 12:57 AM
There's no way you permanently escape this hobby. I'm 64, and I started when I was 6. I had tanks for 3 years, then moved, then didn't have a tank until highschool, then moved. Then went to grad school and had more tanks. Moved home to work, then got a saltwater tank. Then not, for a while. Moved again. Then got a 100g reef, a 300g pond, a 200g pond, a 75, a 30g. Moved, gave up fishkeeping. Then happened to move just downwind of one of the NW's premier reef shops, sunk again: now a proud owner of a 52g and contemplating another move...but the fish tank goes with us.

Good luck to you!

ACBlinky
01/19/2007, 11:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9018487#post9018487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tprize
Also since when do girls keep reefs??? I thought they had cats. I'm a girl, and I've got both :D

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/ACBlinky/Cats%20and%20Dog/Piggy_65g.jpg

SDguy
01/19/2007, 12:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9018982#post9018982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
All reefers should make sure their GF or BF is reefsafe!

Agreed. Because you will never fit them in that little fish trap to get them out :D

tprize
01/19/2007, 05:04 PM
Man I am so tempted to get a 3 gallon pico, I keep telling my self "you won't buy anything for it but snails and crabs come on it will be cycling". "You can enjoy the snails and crabs.. and maybe a goby, or maybe some corlas"

I should not listen to myself but it's so tempting.

hulley
01/19/2007, 05:32 PM
My Fiance just bought me a 180g tank for my B-day! How cool is that? What a woman!!! "Her" fish is a Yellow tang named Victoria! Which BTW can do NO wrong! But when my purple tang gets upset, she (fiance) says "He better calm down and not upset Victoria!) Oh well, I got a bigger tank!

JamesJR
01/19/2007, 05:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9014384#post9014384 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tprize
So I no longer have a salt water aquarium. I sold it to my roomates father to help cover the cost of books this semester.

Have you ever considered buying books online or from other countries?
I had the same dillemma when I was in college and then discovered international and Indian editions and older editions. I learned the lesson of never buying your books at the bookstore. I spent 600 bucks one semester on books and decided I didn't want to work really hard all summer to save extra money only to spend it on books. I bought lots of my chemistry books from other countries, they were in english but just cheaper quality. I got em for around 5 bucks a pop and they were the same books we use here in america only a lot cheaper.

Poorcollegereef
01/19/2007, 07:00 PM
If there is a will there is a way. I have gotten many books from my old college's library... I worked there for a bit and would check my texts books out for a sememster by the renewing policy. If you are feeling bad, I just spent $190 on a urban transportation planning text book! Just one book, but grad school is different.

Now, I am on assistantship and have my tuition covered so I spend my addition paycheck on my tank. But....

I do know of a guy at Clemson who keeps a pest tank. Its like a 2-3 gallon nano but instead of normal stuff, I believe he keeps Aiptasia and other less desirable creatures he gets from the LFS for free. Interresting tank and I am sure no one else has one like it... atleast on purpose...

Finally, I was an RA then a Head Resident (RD) as an undergraduate. When the pro staff hear about my 55g they made a new policy limiting tanks to 20g... now I have a 20+20... shesh, I worked for them and they fought against me!