PDA

View Full Version : hitch hickers

tattooed
01/18/2007, 07:37 PM
am getting ready to get the tank going this weekend (payday!)
I have been reading allot about the importance of good tank parameters to keep the fish and corals alive
Do water changes, get the right lights...check the PH, use a RO system..etc etc.... how do the hitch hikers survive with the rock being shipped all over the place rapped in news paper dumped from this holding tank to that holding tank and finally you the tank owner gets it? Are they just very hardy?

sir_dudeguy
01/18/2007, 08:05 PM
Mostly because of the very last thing you said. Stuff like pods are worse (or i should say better in this case tho) than cockroaches. They would live thru a nuke easily lol.

And corals and even other inverts are a lot hardier than we give them credit for. Just 3 days ago or so i picked out a snails out of my old 55 that broke about 6 months ago....since it broke there has been no water flow or anything to filter (and there was like only 5 inches left of water). And then this winter the water has been below 55 degrees. All sorts of dead snails in there. But i picked out this one cerith snail and it was still alive so i tossed it in my tank and its now doing great lol. There is no reason the thing SHOULD have lived. but it did :)

that all being said, you dont wanna keep it bad for them on purpose just because they can sometimes stand it for a while. It will eventually kill them (tho not in my snails case i guess..