PDA

View Full Version : What Stain to use on DIY Stand?

The Saltwater Kid
01/18/2007, 07:57 PM
What stain would you use to finish a DIY stand? I am thinking something like Minwax water repellent maybe? Any idea's would be very helpful. I don't want anything to possibly jeopardize my tank by seeping through the glass but i want my stand to hold up against the corrosiveness of saltwater/saltcreep etc. Thanks!!!

randt122
01/18/2007, 09:01 PM
stain first and then use poly aftwards. i usually stain 2-3 times and use poly at least 3-4 times.

salty3
01/18/2007, 09:07 PM
I like the raw wood look with a shine, so I just clearcoated it.

The Saltwater Kid
01/18/2007, 10:35 PM
Anyone else?

ctreefer
01/18/2007, 10:45 PM
If you want it stained use the advice from randt. Each coat of stain will darken the wood finish. If you're staining pine, you should prepare the wood prior to staining with a wood conditioner (Minwax has them). Without the conditioner you'll end up with lots of really dark areas where stain was soaked in next to light areas where the stain didn't penetrate as well. This is a problem with soft woods like pine. Most hard woods won't need a conditioner as they're not as porous.

randt122
01/19/2007, 12:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9018492#post9018492 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ctreefer
If you want it stained use the advice from randt. Each coat of stain will darken the wood finish. If you're staining pine, you should prepare the wood prior to staining with a wood conditioner (Minwax has them). Without the conditioner you'll end up with lots of really dark areas where stain was soaked in next to light areas where the stain didn't penetrate as well. This is a problem with soft woods like pine. Most hard woods won't need a conditioner as they're not as porous.

What he said. If you want it real shiny and smooth, get some steel wool (fine, very fine at least 300 grit) and sand any imperfection after each poly application.

The Saltwater Kid
01/19/2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the info but my real question remains unanswered...which stain is best to use?

RobNJ
01/19/2007, 10:34 AM
I used Thompson's water seal with an oak tint in it, simple and easy looks great.

Dasani01
01/19/2007, 11:04 AM
I was used water base stain from Home Depot.

ctreefer
01/19/2007, 03:42 PM
IMO stain is stain. Its just a colorant. The more important question would be what to seal it with. Then you have many options such as polyurethane (oil/water base), 2 part epoxy based or shellac/varnishes.

MayoBoy
01/19/2007, 03:59 PM
It depends upon your skill level. If you're a novice, stay away from the alcohol base. Oil based Minwax is pretty foolproof. Just don't get the combo stain and finish.