PDA

View Full Version : getting some brown stringy algae,help..

cubanheat1
01/19/2007, 12:30 PM
My 29g tank has been up for over 2months now.Im getting some brown algae that looks hair- like but it isnt,more stringy.Im not using any media but my filtration consist of a maxi-jet and sponge running my refuge,and P.skimmer.Im thinking of adding a canister with some media(oh by the way im using R.O water).Should i use chemi-pure,phosban,rowphos,or some purigen.I was thinking of some purigen and some chemi-pure.What do u guys think? Should i bother getting a UV?Ive got a 9watter laying around.

Illuminati
01/19/2007, 12:33 PM
I'd start with the Purigen and Chemi-pure, phosban only if you need it (I didn't start using it until I got cyano and it keeps it in check).

Is it a 29 gallon biocube or a rectangle tank?

cubanheat1
01/19/2007, 11:11 PM
rectangle..oldschool

chocolateblnt
01/20/2007, 03:04 AM
Well your tank is fairly new so it's normal to get diatoms and other algae blooms. Hopefully you have a fairly good snail crew. If you do and they can't keep up then one of these scenarios can help.

... I suggest a phosban reactor w/ phosban media obviously and a maxi jet pump. Drs. F & S are actually having a sale on them right now. Since I've gotten my phosban reactor all algae growth including algae on glass has slowed down tremendously; if you already have good water clarity this will do the trick. You can always adjust how much media you are running as well; there is a minimum but it's a plus for big tanks.

Even though Purigen and Chemi Pure are a good way of killing off organics, the food supply of algae, I would skip the purigen and chemi-pure which work only once* on removing organics; if you're organics go up again from anything like an overfeeding you could have another outbreak and have to spend more money. *Purigen can be recharged. However if you have bad water clarity then you should consider these.

UV sterilizers help but rather target scenarios where you have bad water clarity or parasitics rather than nutrilizing algae growth. If you have one of these on hand it would not hurt to immediately start using it. Make sure you're running recommended gph through it.

Also remember to rinse any sponges in your tank which could be leaching decaying organics.

3fins
01/20/2007, 05:51 PM
whats purigen..srry im new