PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon tank

Mother Yoda
01/19/2007, 12:57 PM
A friend of mine said that he would give me a 55-gallon tank and said that he would be able to give it to me whenever my parents would approve of it. They said they would allow it but they said I needed to do some more research on what I am going to put in the tank as well as what I am going to need equipment wise. So what I have to ask you is what would I be in need of for this tank. The fish I am leaning towards getting would be a harquin tuskfish (I think that’s how you spell it anyway) with also some type of trigger and eel but I am still decieding what to get for my tank so please tell me what you think would be the best things to get for my equipment-wise tank based on what I have said above.

Thanks
Mother Yoda

Racenrich
01/19/2007, 01:02 PM
yoda,
All the fish you mentioned are WAY too LARGE to be put into a 55g....

as for setting up a SW tank...IMO of course....4 basic ingredients:

1-LOTS OF LIVE ROCK
2-GOOD LIGHTING
3-LOTS OF WATER FLOW and
4-A GOOD SKIMMER.....

Start with those and you'll be on the road to a successful tank!

HTH

piscivorous
01/19/2007, 01:06 PM
I think a trigger is going to get too big for this tank.....for an eel....about the only thing that might fit is a snowflake eel. I am not familiar with the tuskfish. Figure $1000 minimum on equipment and rock unless you can find some good deals on all used stuff. I just picked up the promo Euroreef skimmer that Premium Aquatics is selling for $178. Skimmer, lights, and rock are going to be your biggest expenses. Are you thinking of just having the fish...or do you want this to be a reef tank with corals as well? All things to consider.

Mother Yoda
01/19/2007, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9022100#post9022100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by piscivorous
I think a trigger is going to get too big for this tank.....for an eel....about the only thing that might fit is a snowflake eel. I am not familiar with the tuskfish. Figure $1000 minimum on equipment and rock unless you can find some good deals on all used stuff. I just picked up the promo Euroreef skimmer that Premium Aquatics is selling for $178. Skimmer, lights, and rock are going to be your biggest expenses. Are you thinking of just having the fish...or do you want this to be a reef tank with corals as well? All things to consider. Yes I think unless things change it will be a FOWLR tank. Yes the eel I was talking about was in fact a snowflake eel. I think that the Tuskfish is a must but I am not as picky about the trigger or the eel.

@ Racenrich I like you avatar I find to be funny lol.

petoonia
01/19/2007, 02:08 PM
I would just do the tuskfish if thats what you really want, start out with a small one. If you try to put both of those fish in a 55g you could wind up with one or both fish dead due to aggresion. I would just get one or the other. I hope everything works out!!!

Here is a good starting point for compatibility of fish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

Andrew
01/19/2007, 03:01 PM
Do keep in mind that the Tusk will get rather large and they also like their space.... as tangs do.

Panduriniii
01/19/2007, 03:13 PM
This is what you need first and most importantly RO/DI unit with a small fish load(after cycling) you might be able to get away with frequent water changes until you can find a skimmer. Your parents are right with telling you to research. This can become a very expensive hobby but it doesnt always have to be that way.