PDA

View Full Version : Alk swings causes SPS tips to bleach and corrode?

dreamreefer
01/19/2007, 01:53 PM
Hi guys,

check out the following thread and let us know your thoughts...this is interesting and has kept many baffled for a long time. Thanks.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1021297

dreamreefer

Henry Bowman
01/25/2007, 10:52 AM
I dont think it is baffling. Not intending to be controversial.... You'll find that most of the successful long time SPS reefkeepers have very consistent Ca and alk. If a reefkeeper has fluctuation in these areas s/he is asking for trouble.

Will it cause the corals to bleach and corrode ? Specifically will the swings CAUSE the bleaching or corrosion? I wouldnt venture a guess but I would bet that the swings contribute to the situation.

You will have less success in the long run if your SPS tank is not rock solid consistent with alk and Ca, has a significant amount of flow and good lights.

dreamreefer
01/26/2007, 03:24 AM
most of the guys affected have remedied by raising the alk...i believe the bleaching tips and corrosion is caused by high phosphate levels, since phosphate also can interfere with the stonies calcification process, it can cause it to tissue recess as well as the corrosion, i got this from a artical written by Charles Delbeek. Cheers and congrats keeping on keeping you ca and alk consistent, hope i can do that soon once i hook up my korallin, been a long time since I've been using kalkwasser and 2-part.

Henry Bowman
01/26/2007, 10:44 AM
I agree with the phosphates as well. Good luck with the Ca Reactor. There is a great thread by DragonSlayer on Korallin set up and dial in. Dont have the thread address but if you search for his posts, I'm sure you can find it. It is really informative.

FWIW

stony_corals
01/31/2007, 10:13 PM
There is anecdotal experience that in very low nutrient environments, high alk can cause acros' tips to burn, and even cause stn.