PDA

View Full Version : Foxface Lo and Spines

jsdratm
01/20/2007, 08:26 AM
I think the foxface is cool, but I have been wary of their venomous spines. Do they try to attack you when you are working in the tank? Would thick rubber gloves like the orange and blue CoraLife ones protect you from them?

Glove
01/20/2007, 08:34 AM
Mine will hide if I start moving rocks but is right there when I add food. If you decide to get one, just remember its in your tank as you put your hands in there.

frederickk
01/20/2007, 08:39 AM
They will be quite shy when you feed altough they will come out and eat.

jsdratm
01/20/2007, 10:07 AM
Has anyone else had experience with this species?

chrisstie
01/20/2007, 10:15 AM
I just got one! He has been very shy so far getting used to the tank and the movement he sees going on outside of it. In this time he stays hidden and shy but if there is anything to spook him he will dart around real fast.

When he's ticked or nervous he flexes his dorsal spines (reminds me of a cat flipping its tail around) and I have been very careful when working with my frags.. You don't want him to spook and zoom real close to where you are working... With caution I think all will be okay- especially once he gets used to me.

In the meantime thick gloves could help. I've heard that their sting can hurt for a few days a bit worse than a bee sting sort of thing. If you have any severe allergies though and it could cause complications i'd avoid it though just in case- but everyones reaction is different! Some people are realllly unable to handle zoos or palythoas while others can so if you're a hardy person without allergies and can know he's in there it isnt so bad

RipCurrent
01/20/2007, 01:12 PM
I don't have one myself, yet, but a friend who has had one in each of two tanks for years has no problems with the Foxface and aggression. I've actually been there when her hands are in the tank for one reason or the other and the foxface actually drops his spines when he gets even near her. It's actually pretty neat to watch.

reelheel
01/20/2007, 03:47 PM
These rabbitfish are not aggressive at all and will not intentionally stick you with their spines. The only time I've ever gotten stung is when I picked up my s. Doliatus with my bare hand. The rest of the time the rabbitfish only wants to avoid strange objects in the tank.