PDA

View Full Version : Any 1 ever used NSW for their tanks?? Advantages & Disad?

matts
01/20/2007, 10:17 AM
Natural seawater & their effects on reef tanks

matts
01/20/2007, 10:25 AM
I got a 300 gal tank and im planning on using NSW for my initial setup. Any feedbacks any1?

flfirefighter13
01/20/2007, 12:11 PM
Ive been useing it for about 1 year with no prblems in all my tanks. I collect at an inlet on incomeing high tode only, try to do it on AM high tides only. If the water looks funky I pass for the day. I run it through a 10" houseing with a standard sediment filter and then through a filter sock while filling the tank. I also let it sit in 55 gallon drums for at least 2-3 days and then do a change on one of my small tanks first as a test. I know several LFS that do it as well but you may want to check with local reefers to your area to ensure there are no pollutants common, for example farms near where you want to collect may release fertilizer runoff. Do some test and you should be fine, but like anything it is a gamble. After 1 change and watching my coral perk up I decided it was the right thing to do.

matts
01/20/2007, 06:26 PM
ok sounds great. ill check the area first to make sure ill be collecting clean water. after that ill do some tests on the water. thanks firefighter.

nyvp
01/20/2007, 06:29 PM
I have 1000g done ever 4 weeks all good so far. None of the delivery men here clean or uv it. Straight from the ocean at high tide.

Justjoe
01/20/2007, 07:59 PM
I've used it for many years on my home tank, and now at Atlantis Marine World in NY, as long as the area has a good flushing rate/ tidal flow. We mechanically filter it for clarity.
Joe

matts
01/21/2007, 01:56 AM
Thanks for your feedbacks guys!:D :D :D

nyvp
01/21/2007, 10:36 PM
just be careful that the temp is the same as your tank before you change it. I'm getting a holding tank for winter time to warm it up before putting it in my tank.