PDA

View Full Version : Like a see-saw

macperry
01/20/2007, 01:46 PM
:rollface:

I am battling a low pH problem by dripping Kalkwasser. I also use the 2 part B-Ionic buffer. I can get the pH up to 8.4 by dripping all day, then it goes down to 7.9 at night. Now I also have the added problem of my alk being up at 14....the calc is good at 440. Common sense would dictate not using the alkalinity part of the B-Ionic, just the Calk part. There must be a better way to buffer the pH swings. I read the info on house vs fresh air, and agree this is probably a big factor in my problem, but logistically I can't figure a way to get outside air to the tank. Any more ideas out there?

macperry
01/20/2007, 08:55 PM
Anyone?

atvdave
01/20/2007, 10:15 PM
when you say All day.. do you mean 24 hr or just 12hr?

If it's just 12hr your better off dripping at night. Your light's when there on will help raise your PH and dripping at night will help keep it stable.

And if it works you may need to start dripping less which will help your ALK issues.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/21/2007, 09:40 AM
Do not use just the individual parts of the B-ionic without a strong reason. Overdosing of any balanced additive will push alkalinity too high. I'd stop the B-ionic and use just limewater. Use it at night if pH drops too much then. You'll need to add it every day.

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

More fresh air is the only other good option for raising pH.