PDA

View Full Version : Clown tang, who keeps one, with what tankmates?

coryjac0b
01/20/2007, 04:11 PM
I am planning a stocklist for a tank that will be setup in the near future. Im going to have a 7ft 218g tank.(oceanic labels it 200). I know that this species grows rather large, and from what i read they can turn in to a serial killer. I would like to get a rather small one and have it grow with the other tangs i plan on adding to the tank. I also plan on having a orange shoulder, and a powder blue. Photos also appreciated if you have one. thanks. opinions, comments?

JamesJR
01/20/2007, 05:35 PM
I had one in a tank with a yellow corris wrasse, Sailfin tang, pair of tomato clowns and a sixline wrasse. I bought the clown tang at about 3 inches and when I put it in, right away it let the sailfin know that it wasn't going to be pushed around. After an initial squable they got along fine.

A 7 foot tank sounds appropriate. These fish are fast swimmers and need lots of room. Put some serious movement in that water because they need it and it is really hard to over do it with them.
As far as mixing them goes, I would probably add them all at the same time and the Clown will definately dominate the other fish.
To me, The clown tang is a more dellicate and slightly smaller version of the sohal tang.