PDA

View Full Version : Tried lots of stuff, but still have a small amount of hair/bubble algae

JollyGreen
01/20/2007, 05:43 PM
I need some ideas for fixing my small bubble/hair algae problem.

I have a 26g reef tank, with about 15-20 lbs of live rock

System: Emperor 280 Power Filter running a bio-wheel and carbon, Coralife 65g super skimmer, tunze osmolator top-off, maxijet 1200, maxijet 600, Tunze nano stream 6025, 26gallon tank

Temp: 77-82
Ph: 8.0-8.3
Calcium: 400
Alkalinity: 8dkH
Magnesium: 1275
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

I currently have a torch coral, acropora millepora, galaxia, button polyps, ricordia and lots of xenia.

Cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, started with 24 snails and 6 hermits, Royal Gramma, Two clowns and blenny, fish are currently in QT

I've had a small hair/bubble algae problem for the last year. About 2 months ago a fish got Ich, so I took out all fish and put them in a QT tank, treated with copper for 20 days, then left in QT another 4 weeks. I thought this would correct the algae problem because the fish wouldn't be in the display and I wouldn't be feeding the tank.

Still have algae. Hasn't even declined in the amount, I pick it out about every two weeks to a month so it at least stays in check.

I also bought a coralife 65g super skimmer and have been running that non-stop for a month. Been getting some good skimmate in HOT mode.

I thought it might be my water, found out the water had 15 TDS because I wasn't flushing the RO/DI system and then letting it run a little before filling up containers. I got that under control and now have 0 TDS, I've been using that water for a month now, and have done 2-3 water changes.

I add Kent Marine two part to keep calcium/akalinity in the proper region.

Today I just replaced my 14k 1 year old metal halide bulb, with an XM 10k metal halide bulb.

After all that I still have a small amount of algae that keeps growing.

I've been doing this for a year now and feel pretty confident I'm doing almost everything correct now. The only thing I can think is that I think I've read people believe the bio-wheels to become nitrate factories...you guys think this is the problem? Think I can just take the bio-wheel out and the system will run fine?

The only other way I can think to get rid of the bio-wheel is to get a Wier (Because I don't want to drill my tank) and run a sump. What do you guys think?

Could really use some help here!

JG

McCrary
01/20/2007, 06:31 PM
I have used Mithrax crabs to control bubble algae, I don't know if they would help with hair algae. Nutrient deprivation and less lighting will help a lot in controlling hair algae.

webbstock
01/20/2007, 07:23 PM
You might have a phosphate source that you're not aware of. Some people claim that bio-wheels can add PO4 (not sure if I believe it or not). You could try one of the medias that removes PO4 and see if that helps.
I found astrea snails do really well on my hair algae, but for a couple of weks I had to keep moving the snails to where I wanted them to clean otherwise they would windup hanging out on the glass.