PDA

View Full Version : Tiger tail Stories

RedEyeElf
01/20/2007, 10:24 PM
Anyone have any reason I should'nt add one of these, assuming I have a good enviroment for him? Any horror stories to share before I add one?

jsdratm
01/21/2007, 04:25 PM
Get covers for your powerheads or it will get sucked into them. Even if they are at the top of the tank.

graveyardworm
01/21/2007, 04:41 PM
The tigertails are as safe of an invert as any other, or fish as long as their needs are met. Problems arise mostly in smallish tanks when the animal dies and the aquarist doesnt realize it until the water is degraded to the point where other critters are showing signs of stress.

RedEyeElf
01/21/2007, 05:56 PM
thanks for the input, gonna pick one up this week.

RedEyeElf
01/22/2007, 11:21 PM
Have a new small Tiger, maybe 2 inchs normally

we call him Pickle

supervdl
02/02/2007, 01:42 AM
I have one - no problems.

Amador
02/02/2007, 11:31 AM
One thing to mention, when you go to move it to the display BE SURE NOT TO EXPOSE IT TO AIR! I did this without knowing and mine was a goner in 2 days :( . Lesson learned!

graveyardworm
02/02/2007, 11:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9141293#post9141293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amador
One thing to mention, when you go to move it to the display BE SURE NOT TO EXPOSE IT TO AIR! I did this without knowing and mine was a goner in 2 days :( . Lesson learned!

I have heard this before, but have seen no proof that it was the actual cause of death. FWIW when the employee at the LFS where one of mine was purchased removed it from the tank it was exposed to the air, and mine is doing fine 6 months later. If you could post some literature to back this up it would be appreciated. BTW I am in no way disputing your experience.

Amador
02/03/2007, 07:58 PM
Hmm .. well it is mentioned in Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" in the section on cukes .. and also on wetwebmedia (link here (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/cukedisfaqs.htm) )

Safe handling
I would like to know how to safely handle the sea cucumber Actinopyga agassizii.
Thanks
Jonathan
{Best with gloves, though can be handled bare-handed... just wash your hands immediately afterward, and underwater, as in simply lifting the specimen and placing it into a submersed bag/container (not lifting it into the air). Bob Fenner}

After I put mine in, he slowly sloughed parts of his skin. The next morning he was all white (almost no skin left), and by that afternoon he had ejected his guts and Cuverian organs :( . I drip acclimated him for about 3 hours, not sure what went wrong if not the air exposure (which was MAYBE 5 seconds).