PDA

View Full Version : Red Coris

Capt. Nemo
01/20/2007, 10:51 PM
Hi guys,

Does anyone have one of these gorgeous wrasse? I'm looking to learn as much as I can about this fish before making a decision to get this fish. The other candidates under consideration are a Paddlefin wrasse or a Harlequin Tusk. How deep a sandbed would I need for a small to medium sized Red Coris? Currently, I only have about an inch layer of sand. Would this fish also have the ability to rearrange my LR and therefore cause a possible rock avalanche which could cause cracking of glass. I realize that a full grown Red Corris would need a larger tank my 55 gal but I will be upgrading to at least a 150 in the next year. I also have a sump, fuge and an excellent Protein Skimmer to help out until then. His only tankmate would be a small porc. Thanks for your insights and advice.

Kahuna Tuna
01/20/2007, 11:14 PM
I had one in a reef and lived to regret it. Mine decimated my clean up crew once he got big, not even the snails were safe and he was a nightmare to get out. You might need to add more sand and you will need to upgrade to a larger tank for sure. If you are planning a FO tank and aren't interested in keeping inverts it will be fine until he gets bigger. You will need a tank with a very large pod population to keep a juvie alive. My little juvie didn't eat anything but pods for almost a year and would have starved without them. HTH

Capt. Nemo
01/20/2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks Tuna. How long would I have before having to upgrade to a larger tank if I have a 3 - 4 " Red Coris? How deep a sandbed do I need? Would I need a DSB or would 2 or 3" be enough? Would it also topple LR? Not having a clean up crew is certainly a big drawback and a sacrifice I may not be willing to make. How about large hermit crabs?

Kahuna Tuna
01/21/2007, 12:07 AM
I kept mine in a 180 and he got to about 6-7" from a tiny 1 1/2" juvie in about 5 years. I had a 5-6" sand bed but I think 2-3" should be enough for him to bed in. Mine left the clean up crew alone for years and I guess a large enough hermit crab might survive. I'm not sur how long he could stay in the smaller tank but he will need a much bigger tank eventually. He was a very interesting and beautiful fish and I would recommend one for an agressive fish only setup.

SDguy
01/21/2007, 12:16 AM
I agree about a great fish in a FO aggressive setup. I had one bite me while snorkling when I was holding a serpent star :D

bubbaOPPD
01/21/2007, 02:06 AM
I guess mine must be weird since I have had him in a reef for 2 years and he may eat a snail every now and then but I haven't added snails in 6 months. So he isn't making a dent into the population mine is a 8" adult only awake for 8 hours a day then sleeps in my 2" sand bed. He moves lots of rocks in the search for food he eats lots of bristleworms. Mine if he can't find bristleworms eats mysis and krill and thats about it.

Capt. Nemo
01/21/2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks to everyone for their valuable feedback. Just need a little clarification. When you guys recommend a FO aggressive setup for the coris does this mean I cant have a FOWLR aggressive setup? The only real concern I have is when I hear that this fish can flip rocks over. Can you have LR with this fish without having the fear of a cracked and leaking tank? I would assume that this fish can only move smaller rock. Thanks again.

SDguy
01/21/2007, 09:48 AM
I said FO simply because I think it would be a little too large and aggressive for your average full blown reef fish, no because I think it would eat corals. A FOWLR would be fine as well, IMO.

Capt. Nemo
01/21/2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks Peter. I would be keeping this guy with a porc in a FOWLR. Just concerned about the rock flipping behavior of the coris. I suppose this would only be smaller rock and that larger rock would be heavy and secure enough. Thanks!