PDA

View Full Version : Glass aquarium sump kit

MO Will
01/21/2007, 09:27 AM
Hi folks

I am thinking of installing a new sump and I had a couple of questions

The footprint of my stand is 59 X 20 and I was thinking of a 75 gallon glass aquarium

Does anyone sell sump kits with all of the baffles precut?

If not I guess that any glass shop could just cut the baffles to size and then they can be siliconed?

If this is the case how close to the actual measurement should the baffles be cut to size - the distance minus 1-2 mm?

I assume that for the bulkheads the LFS can cut the holes when the tank is purchased

Finally is there any real difference between an external and internal pump? I understand that an internal pump can add heat and that an external can be more powerful.

Right now I have a Mag 7 returning to a 58 gallon RR.

Anyway any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Will

Randall_James
01/21/2007, 09:50 AM
Does anyone sell sump kits with all of the baffles precut?
Yes look at ebay, however I would just do my own or go to a glass store and have them cut them for you. Go to http://melevsreef.com to get some ideas on baffle placement and sizes.

If not I guess that any glass shop could just cut the baffles to size and then they can be siliconed?
Measure and cut the baffles exact to measurements. The tank will get physically larger when filled (bows) so no need to under size the baffles

I assume that for the bulkheads the LFS can cut the holes when the tank is purchased
More than likely not... most only sell tanks and run when the mention of drilling comes up... again either DIY or go to a glass shop ($10-20 per hole) Ebay has diamond drills you can DIY or Dremel, Read up first before trying

Finally is there any real difference between an external and internal pump? I understand that an internal pump can add heat and that an external can be more powerful. Correct, external will heat the air instead of the water. Noise is different between them as well. Hard to explain but I would call the external more of a turbine sound compared to the internal pumps hum.

Right now I have a Mag 7 returning to a 58 gallon RR.
Way too large IMO, I would not run that return any larger than 300Gph (3 to 5X turnover is suggested)

RCBrooke
01/21/2007, 09:51 AM
I've read in a couple of other threads that acylic baffles can be siliconed in on a glass tank since there's not much pressure involved.

I'll have to let other way in on the rest.

- Randy -

kookerson
01/21/2007, 09:55 AM
When I had the baffles cut for my 40 gallon sump, I had them cut the glass an 1/8" short and it work out perfect for me.....you might even want to go with 3/16", it'll make it go in easier.......silicon is damn strong when bonding glass, so a gap like that shouldnt be a problem at all. As far as internal/external pumps......the only real difference is that internal pumps may cause a little bit of a temp rise.....although alot of people say that they really see no difference. I prefer internal pumps, simply because external pumps require extra bulkheads and plumbing, just seems like more of a pain than its worth. One quick note, DO NOT use a Mag Drive pump for external use, they arent meant for that! : ) HTH!

Icefire
01/21/2007, 11:14 AM
Mag7 is fine, it's around 350-400Gph with head loss

MO Will
01/23/2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks to all for the replies

I am still working on the design and I will try to update as it progresses

Thanks