PDA

View Full Version : What is Zeovit???

krzyphsygy
01/21/2007, 11:43 AM
I have senn this posted on this site......can someone please enlighten me!!!!

toothman
01/21/2007, 12:35 PM
It is a additive filtration product/method of reducing Phosphate in your tank. The mulm (powder shaken off the rocks, when stirring your zeovit daily) is to feed your sps) You can easily spend $500 on a set up with the additives.

There is a lot of controversy as to its efficacy. Big argument is unknown ingredients, unable to test for its levels. If not used properly it can easily cause rtn.

Upside, a promise of lighter brighter coral.

slojmn
01/21/2007, 01:05 PM
Another upside, very little to no pesky macro algae's :D, my main reason for use. The beautiful coral colors is the icing on the cake :).

trueblackpercula
01/21/2007, 01:26 PM
i HAVE HAD LUCK USING THERE AMINO ACIDS AND I JUST ORDERED SOME OTHER ADDITIVES AS WELL. i THINK IT WORKS BECUASE MY CORALS HAVE TOLD ME:)
MICHAEL

ReefRockerLive
01/21/2007, 04:34 PM
Zeovit is a method that some choose to use for nutrient reduction and better colors. It's goal is to meet NSW levels through a slow process. It can be dangerous because if you overdose, you may STN or RTN an acro or two. It can get expensive with all the bottles that need to be used to get the full function of Zeovit.

Serioussnaps
01/21/2007, 08:56 PM
I really want to kick a hornet's nest, but I wont.

old salty
01/21/2007, 11:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9040084#post9040084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps

Well, then poke it with a stick!!

CletusKlump
01/22/2007, 03:07 AM
i do not think the qustion was answered as i am still confused......any links to explain the process?

DrBDC
01/22/2007, 06:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9040084#post9040084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps

:lolspin: Like being on a diet at a bday party with a great looking cake!

Zedar
01/22/2007, 07:55 AM
I'm using a cheap method of this system.

Remote DSB in my fuge with 4 chambers that i could shop vac out once every 2 years. By using 4 chambers I can stagger the swaps, without crashing the bacterial levels too much.

I use seachem stability. (bacteria in a bottle.)
I use vodka for a carbon source and seachem reef plus for Amino acids.

I feed cyclopezee daily (I have anthias) oyster eggs 3 times a week.
Along with flake and frozen food for the fish.

Since starting this I have noticed my water is crystal clear, no hair algae and the corals are coloring up.

I have an A.Tenius that has grown 2 inches in a month. PE is getting better.

I wont say I recommend this for everyone. But its working for me.

It cost allot less money this way.

For those people that dont want to chance screwing things up, ZEO would be the way to go. Follow their instructions go slow and you should see improvements in your tank.

Zedar
01/22/2007, 08:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9042086#post9042086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CletusKlump
i do not think the qustion was answered as i am still confused......any links to explain the process?

Zeo is a method of using bacteria to strip the water of nutrients.
Zeolite is a porous mineral thats either naturally occurring or man made.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeolite

Its used in this application as a substrate for bacteria. Its placed in a reactor, bacteria are dosed along with a carbon source to feed these bacteria. The bacteria quickly consume the nutrients from the water. That is why its recommended that you go slow when introducing this method. As the water is depleted of nutrients you replace them with supplements. You also dislodge the bacteria growing on the zeolite daily (if memory servers me) to be used as a food source for the corals.

Thats a summary :)

Does it work? Hell yeah. Can it be done another way? See my post above.

One other thing. You need a good skimmer. And it DOESN'T replace good husbandry. Its a way of getting you water quality the best it can be.

Serioussnaps
01/22/2007, 03:13 PM
I know of many ways to strip water of nutrients, achieve clear water and no nuisance algae growth, but I am not going to poke the nest either.

Dubbin1
01/22/2007, 03:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9035901#post9035901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krzyphsygy
What is Zeovit???

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=Zeovit

DMK
01/22/2007, 03:38 PM
how about trying to research, try http://zeovit.com/ and http://captiveoceans.com/. u should find out everything u r looking for.
- in a nutshell, zeo is the use of multiple additives, zeo rocks run through a zeo reactor, and the use of special carbon. rocks must be shaken/stirred daily. reactor must only run 3 hrs on 3 off at a specific flowrate according to your net water volume. additives are dosed also according to net volume. u must start off slow and not rush anything. it's a slow process, although i noticed improved coloration and PE within 2 weeks. if it's rushed u will face problems. if u take your time and do everything correct, u will have a 0 nutrient environment w/ crazy coral health, color and crystal clear water...

Zedar
01/24/2007, 06:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9045984#post9045984 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps
I know of many ways to strip water of nutrients, achieve clear water and no nuisance algae growth, but I am not going to poke the nest either.

Chicken :)

LobsterOfJustice
01/24/2007, 07:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9045984#post9045984 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps

No one is saying that zeovit is the only way to keep clean water. Please don't deteriorate this thread into an argument.

flyingphish
01/26/2007, 10:16 AM
do hornets bite or sting?

i want to see more of this nest...

slojmn
01/26/2007, 11:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9079058#post9079058 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyingphish
do hornets bite or sting?

i want to see more of this nest...

Well that was useful and full of information for the original thread starter :rolleye1:

The links provided above will give you a lot of information. Some past threads here also have tons of info. There were some really spirited conversations, in between some of the spiritedness was a lot of great info. After reading and reading everything I could find I decided to take the plunge and run Zeo on my new system, well, new a year and a half ago. I have found it to be challenging at times to keep my params from drifting which is not so good on Zeo. Its not that good in general but on Zeo it seems like the window is even smaller. But the benefits of Zeo, great colors and no problem algae way outweigh my own deficits in keeping params in line from time to time. There are many ways to produce an algae free, low nutrient tank, this is just one of those ways and I thought it was interesting enough to try. So far so good :).

Zedar
01/26/2007, 12:39 PM
Are you saying you've been running Zeo for a year and a half or just that the tank is that old?