PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon Stock list help!

Nano Chris
01/21/2007, 11:43 AM
Will these work in a 90 gallon??, do you think this is a good amount for a 90 gallon? Or too much?

True Percula Clown (pair)
Clown Goby
Fox face Rabbit fish Or Flame Angel
Royal Gramma

I would like to have a couple shrimp also:
Cleaner Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
Camel Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp

If anyone has any suggestions or if you think these would not be compatible plz tell me, i went to mdl and looked off their compatibility chart the best i could lol.

Also i was reading and i saw add the more aggressive fish last, should i wait till i get done with the fish and the tank to mature more before adding corals or just go ahead after i get the fish?

InvaderJim
01/21/2007, 11:50 AM
If you plan on keeping SPS then that clown goby is not going to be a good idea.

I heard camel shrimp will eat corals such as zoas,
I'd go with the flame angel...just cause I love them. :D

You can wait a little while after adding the fish for the bacteria in the tank to catch up with all the new additions...then you should defiantly be safe to add corals.

You can also probably add to that list some.

sir_dudeguy
01/21/2007, 11:53 AM
honestly, i think that its a pretty light bio-load on the tank. You could get away with quite a bit more imo. I'd take the flame over the fox face, only cuz i've seen a fox face in a 125 and the thing was pretty big and really active and to me it just looked kinda too big for the tank. Plus flames are cooler anyways ;)

Also i've read that camel shrimp eat corals, so if you're gonna do a reef, dont do that one. And flame angels are hit or miss...sometimes they'll nip at corals too, but not always.

SpektralerSpeer
01/21/2007, 12:01 PM
Hi Chris,

that all seems fine to me, except that the foxface will grow to be rather large. I would definitely have the flame angel instead. I would perhaps have a (pair of?) yellow watchman goby instead of the clown goby.
Personally, I prefer to keep animals in pairs or groups. For that reason I would perhaps keep a group of only one species of shrimp instead of single specimens of multiple species.
It probably wouldn't matter to add the corals around the same time as the fish, however I would wait a week or so between each new addition just to be safe.

Paul

Nano Chris
01/21/2007, 12:04 PM
No problem with the camel shrimp, ill just take that off the list.

Hmm, what could i substitute that goby for? I do want to have everything compatible, i do want sps/lps a variety of corals. I am still deciding on them though, i do want to get an Anemone for the clown fish, but as i read get the tank established with fish first than move onto corals. Is it nessesarely the same if i get a Anemone for them?

Also ill take a look at the yellow watchman goby.

Ill also consider buying them as pairs.

I was going to buy the shrimp in pairs, would that work?

Should i just get one set of fish at a time? And qt them. Also should i get the least aggressive fish first or does it really matter?

I was looking at the Long Tentacle Anemone Assorted Color - Macrodactyla doreensis would that work well with the clownfish?

InvaderJim
01/21/2007, 12:21 PM
Least aggressive fish first so that they can establish their territory.

The clownfish will decide on it's own what it wants to host in...I heard they are quite fond of bubble tip anemone though. But wait until your tank is established before adding an anemone.

You can look into a Diamond Goby. They are really neat to watch.

Nano Chris
01/21/2007, 01:05 PM
Here is a revised list (may change) i was thinking of getting a pair of each (defenantly getting a pair of clowns.)
Orange Diamond Goby
Flame Angel
Royal Gramma

Cleaner Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp

Still deciding what corals i want, i was looking at the beginner packs at liveaquaria.

sir_dudeguy
01/21/2007, 01:15 PM
i do want to get an Anemone for the clown fish

theirs no guarantee that the clowns will even take to that anemone either. My clowns are hosted by my large toadstool leather. They'll go in pretty much anything soft.

If i were you i'd get like 3 cleaner shrimp. They're cool in packs, and they will also breed and give free food for the fish :)

Diamond gobies are great for keeping the sand clean. But make sure all your rock is supported by either the bottom glass (with egg-crate over the bottom of course) or by building pvc frames for the base rocks. Diamond gobies burrow and will shift the rock around if its only supported by the sand below.

BiggySmalls
01/21/2007, 01:19 PM
yellow tang?

Nano Chris
01/21/2007, 01:31 PM
If i was to go with a tang id like to get a White Cheek Tang but I'm not sure if that would be safe with a Flame Angel (looks similar to their body type?)

SpektralerSpeer
01/21/2007, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't get a tang, they get too big and need lots of room in my opinion. Also, it may be possible to keep more than one Flame Angel (that's to say, it has been done), but they are known to be aggressive towards conspecifics, particularly in smaller tanks.

Paul

davocean
01/21/2007, 04:31 PM
I would prefer a small tang to the flame angel.
Since you're thinking sps, there's a good chance the flame will pick at them or clams.
I like having a tang to keep macros/vegitation in check.
A convict, yellow, kole could go in a 90.

Nano Chris
01/22/2007, 02:05 PM
If i was to get the flame, as long as i keep it fed would there be less of a chance that it would pick at them or the clams?

sir_dudeguy
01/22/2007, 02:15 PM
probably. I've read that quite a few times around here. People who feed a lot usually have better luck with them not nipping corals.

Nano Chris
01/22/2007, 10:24 PM
New list:
Green Mandarin Goby
Flame Angel
Royal Gramma
Yellow tang or White Cheek Tang

Would that be compatible? Also what else could go in with this group and still be able to keep sps/lps and inverts?

RobNJ
01/22/2007, 10:58 PM
I would swap the flame for a yellow or a kole's tang, dwarf angels are known to nip at sps, it is kinda hit or miss. my flame loved to nip at my acro

InvaderJim
01/23/2007, 12:43 AM
You can always just try the flame, if it nips then trade it back in. But if not it would be a beautiful addition to the tank.

Green Mandarin Goby
Flame Angel
Royal Gramma
White Cheek Tang

Sounds like a really good and colorful stocking list. :)

Nano Chris
01/23/2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks! Now i was looking to which i should add first:
Royal Gramma
True Percula Clown - Pair
Flame Angel
White Cheek Tang
Green Mandarin Goby (i have read that these are preferred to have in a tank over 6 months or more)

InvaderJim
01/23/2007, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Although I'm not too sure how aggressive royal gammas are. Maybe someone else can help out with that.

Nano Chris
01/23/2007, 10:31 AM
Behavior: The Royal Gramma may act peaceful (but may become territorial)ly toward other fish.
http://marinedepotlive.stores.yahoo.net/royal-gramma---gramma-loreto-fish--basslets.html
:bounce1: Congrats on your 500th post and congrats to me on my 700th :bounce2:

InvaderJim
01/23/2007, 10:53 AM
haha thanks. I didn't even notice that.

I would add the clowns before the royal gramma. Just to be safe.

davocean
01/23/2007, 11:32 AM
Out of that list I would just add whatever tang second to last, and the last fish would be the mandarin.
I wouldn't add that until you really have established pods.
My royal gramma is very peaceful, unless someone try's to go to his cave, and even then he just stands his ground.

Nano Chris
01/23/2007, 12:40 PM
I have lr in my sump/fuge and i see a load of pods in there, i am going to order from MDL online (cheaper) and i have ordered stuff from them be4, my lr, and clean-up crew, lost nothing, i have the money to get the shrimps, and the clowns, but the weather is fairly cold and lows in the 20's, so ill probably wait a while for it.

InvaderJim
01/23/2007, 04:09 PM
That would be a good idea.

Yea defiantly the Mandarin last. Wait at east 6 months to add it. You will be really sad to see a beautiful fish starve if you add it too soon.

Nano Chris
01/24/2007, 08:00 AM
Ok, decided to get the clowns first, what would i feed them?
I can go to the lfs and get it if they don't have it cheap online (don't want to place a big order online for a while.)

InvaderJim
01/24/2007, 10:12 AM
Mysis, Brine, Flake...Mine usually eat Mysis.

Nano Chris
01/24/2007, 11:05 AM
Ok, hope its not expensive at the lfs, how much do you usually feed them?

InvaderJim
01/24/2007, 12:35 PM
I think it was $11.99 for a nice size bag that's going to last me quite a while.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MYSIS-8OZ&Category_Code=Mysis

That's what I have.

I feed a few pieces that I tear in half, cause my clown is so tiny. I feed until she starts ignoring the food. Which doesn't take long at all. If they try to eat the food and spit it back out it means it's too big.

Nano Chris
01/24/2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info, ill see if the lfs is cheaper though, or ill place a big enough order to last a while. Also how long does the Mysis last? How long can it be in the freezer for?

InvaderJim
01/24/2007, 05:34 PM
So far mine has lasted me a while. I am still at like the very top of the bag. It doesn't say how long it can be in the freezer. Just make sure you put it back in there immediately after your done.

Tang~Cop
01/24/2007, 10:33 PM
From what I have read this is what I see: You are stocking lightly, you still have a good amount of space to work with, with the list I see it looks good, If you are wondering what fish to add first this is what I would do...

Add them all at once! this is because they are ALL aggressive and if you give a month between each fish then you will have a large amount of fighting and scrapping, resulting in either returning of the fish or a mass change in the LR structure destroying any territories that the fish had.

Good luck :)

Nano Chris
01/25/2007, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9065078#post9065078 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InvaderJim
So far mine has lasted me a while. I am still at like the very top of the bag. It doesn't say how long it can be in the freezer. Just make sure you put it back in there immediately after your done.
You know what, i went to my lfs and they had the exact Mysis shrimp, on premium aquatics it say 8oz for $12.99 i got a 16oz for $17 something, i think it was a better deal imo.

InvaderJim
01/25/2007, 11:43 AM
Awesome. Glad that worked out for you.

Nano Chris
01/27/2007, 08:16 AM
I have a question for you, i got the clown fish pair i was talking about, they have been doing what i think is the "clown fish waggle?" going up and down, so are they just trying to establish their territory? Also i read about fire shrimp and what i get from them is they hide all the time and come out at night? I know cleaner shrimp come out most of the time.