PDA

View Full Version : peppermint shrimp eating my frogspawn!

montanabay
01/21/2007, 12:07 PM
Just added a frogspawn, peppermint shrimp found it tasty....shrimp must go.

Trying the bottle trap, he's not taking the bait, any other ideas? This shrimp has a lot of personality, but way too aggrisive (chases my CBS).

SDguy
01/21/2007, 12:09 PM
Any standard fish trap with sliding trap door should work, except you may have to wait until lights out to catch him. Perhaps borrow one from a local reefer...

hth

sethd12
01/21/2007, 04:13 PM
you could add a wrasse, like a harlequin tusk or a reef safe trigger will even take out the shrimp and leave the corals.

nYgel
01/21/2007, 04:50 PM
If you had room for an extra fish and really didnt want them, you should look at a longnose hawkfish, i would.. but i enjoy my shrimp.... they dont bother anything.

Shnabbles
01/21/2007, 05:32 PM
This doesnt sound like typical behavior for a peppermint shrimp? You sure he is eating the coral and not something off the coral?

starmanres
01/21/2007, 05:47 PM
I would agree with Shnabbles... Peppermints don't eat corals. I'm betting there's a tag-a-long on it like an aiptacia that you can't see yet.

InLimbo87
01/21/2007, 06:44 PM
Could also be a camelback shrimp, that many different lfs' will sell as peppermints.

Randall_James
01/21/2007, 06:59 PM
I do not think either would eat healthy frogspawn...

Kigs
01/21/2007, 07:03 PM
once they get a taste of certain corals and they like it, they will continue to go after it; camel or peppermints.

montanabay
01/21/2007, 07:28 PM
100% sure it's a peppermint, I got him for my aiptasia which he has handled nicely. The frogspawn was stressed, but in good shape. I epoxied the frogspawn into place and watched it until the tentacles started to come out, turned to frag a few zoas, turned back to see the peppermint jumping on the frogsapawn excitedly, pull out three or four tentacles in a flurry, then climbed into his cave to eat what was in his claws. I went to remove the Froqspawn first to give me time to catch the peppermint, but the epoxy job was too good and I didn't want to give up the LR. The frogspawn has recovered and is fully out and the peppermint is ignoring it, so hopefully he didn't like what he tasted.....time will tell, because neither are coming out of the tank anytime soon.

Josh

dragonforce
01/21/2007, 07:33 PM
Just a bit of extra info; true peppermints will never eat corals or inverts. There are many species of "peppermint shimp" that are actually not true peppermint shrimp and can pose danger to the aquarium. Many of these fake peppermint shrimp will eat aptasia.

SDguy
01/21/2007, 07:44 PM
Also, IME, euphyllia will regurgitate food when stressed (ie placed into a new aquarium). Perhaps the shrimp was going after that.

Craig Lambert
01/21/2007, 09:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9039259#post9039259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragonforce
Just a bit of extra info; true peppermints will never eat corals or inverts. There are many species of "peppermint shimp" that are actually not true peppermint shrimp and can pose danger to the aquarium. Many of these fake peppermint shrimp will eat aptasia.

Agree. He's either steeling food from the frogspawn or eating "dead frogspawn." (even that is doubtful). Just doesn't happen.

Dr.FuManchu
01/21/2007, 09:53 PM
My Peppermints ate a ricordia in my tank. They also pull food out of the other corals when I feed. They have not eaten another coral lately but I have to watch them when I add anything new as they go right up and start picking at it.

kimboslice
01/22/2007, 04:50 AM
i think my peppermint ate my moxt expensive coral, pink yuma so i sent him to the refugium, although i did not see him but ppl told me it was probably him