PDA

View Full Version : Time to add livestock!!!

Myka
01/21/2007, 12:52 PM
So, I plan to add the following:

1 pair True Percs
1 Goby (Yasha, Randall's, or Yellow, not sure yet)
1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp

In consideration that it's only a 33g tank...what should I add first? I was going to put the Percs in first...going to see if I can find some today. When I add the Percs, should I add them both at the same time, or should I add them separately? Will they fight if added separately? Will the params spike too high if I add them together?

The fish will go into a 10 gallon QT for 4-6 weeks before being put into the display.

pH 8.0, Am 0, Ni 0, Na 3.

I have a small cleanup crew (mix of Trochus, Cerith and Nassarius snails) coming next week that will go straight into the display.

sir_dudeguy
01/21/2007, 01:22 PM
add the gobie first, wait a few weeks and then add the percs. And add the shrimp with the gobie.

You wanna give the smallest/weakest fish in first. clowns are damsels, meaning they're tougher than they look. They're not mean (percs arent anyways) but they can deal out the abuse in some cases.

And then add the 2 percs at the same time later

Myka
01/21/2007, 01:23 PM
I was hoping you wouldn't say that! I can't find a Randall's Pistol anywhere! LOL!

sir_dudeguy
01/21/2007, 01:40 PM
lol ya that sucks. Is ordering one a possibility? I personally wouldnt order online unless you're getting lots of stuff to make that 30 dollar shipping more bearable...but not for one shrimp haha

Nano Chris
01/21/2007, 01:42 PM
Online MDL:
http://marinedepotlive.stores.yahoo.net/randalls-pistol-shrimp---alpheus-randalli-inverts--shrimp.html

Myka
01/21/2007, 02:11 PM
I can order from a city 4 hours away...cheapest livestock in Canada that I have found, and shipping is quite cheap becasue they just put it on the Greyhound. They don't have a Randall's Pistol listed though...I'm going to phone and ask. They are where I bought my test kits, LR, and cleanup crew from. They are great! :)

SpektralerSpeer
01/21/2007, 03:50 PM
I think that the Randall's Pistol Shrimp and the Yasha Goby look really great together.

http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/de/13/371/Stonogobiops/yasha.htm

I would add a pair of Yasha Gobies if possible, just because it would cool to watch them all working together!

Paul

Myka
01/21/2007, 03:56 PM
I have decided that I think I will just get a Hi-Fin Goby instead of the Yasha...the Yasha's are $55 Canadian up here. Hopefully when I upgrade I can get a pair of Yasha's.

SpektralerSpeer
01/21/2007, 04:09 PM
By the way, I don't know if you know this but not all species of shrimp goby go with any shrimp, if you see what I mean... For example, I don't think Yellow Watchman Gobies pair with Randall's Pistol Shrimp. I believe all Amblyeleotris and Stonogobiops spp. pair with Randall's.

Paul

Myka
01/21/2007, 04:14 PM
Oh? I thought any pistol would pair with any shrimp/watchman goby??? Uh oh!

I saw several pics of a Hi-Fin Goby with a Randall's Pistol...so I think I am safe there, but thanks for the heads up!!!

SpektralerSpeer
01/21/2007, 04:29 PM
Is this a Hi-Fin? If so then there's proof!

http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/de/13/374/Stonogobiops/nematodes.htm

Paul

Myka
01/21/2007, 04:37 PM
Yep, that's the Goby and Pistol I want to get! :) The Hi-Fin is only $12 here...hard to justify the $40 more for the Yasha who I think is only a bit more attractive than the Hi-Fin. Also, I'll have the clowns, so there'll be plenty of red/orange in my tank. :)

Myka
01/21/2007, 09:22 PM
I couldn't find ANY pistols today, and only yellow gobies. So no new critters...however, I was bad and got a Pulsing Zenia.