PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Captive bred BTAs

hesaias
01/21/2007, 03:28 PM
I want to purchase a captive bred BTA. Either Rose or Green. I am leery of buying one from an LFS or net store because I got no proof it was captive bred.

Anybody got any tips?

I have kept anemones before. Brought a bleached H crispa back from the dead and housed it for 5 years, kept a BTA for about a year. I got rid of both before I got out of the hobby for a year or so. I kept my clowns though.

moonyguy
01/21/2007, 04:53 PM
Best to check and see if anyone has clones of their BTA when they split in their tank and get one. Try a local reefer or someone close if possible.

illcssd
01/21/2007, 04:53 PM
Um, if you have a local club that would be your best bet. Thats how i would do it, otherwise in the wtb section on this forum just post what your looking for. There are alot of people now that have bta's splitting in they're aquariums.

Chihuahua6
01/22/2007, 12:47 AM
I got a great one from a local RC member in the livestock selling forum. There's also a guy around Seattle who sells his RBTAs as they split. His name is Elmo18. Send him a PM. He has some beauties.

raoul
01/22/2007, 10:32 AM
I agree with trying to find a local reefer. This allows you to see the other nem(s) in the tank and transport isn't as long so hopefully not very stressful.

We got one about 2 weeks ago, it's stretching out into the open more and more each day and it's beautiful! One of the considerations I had to think about is lighting, we have metal halides. I wanted one that was already used to the lighting so it would be a little easier for the nem to get used to the tank.
I don't regret my decision at all, I don't think you will either :)

You've done your research right?
good luck!

hesaias
01/22/2007, 04:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9043662#post9043662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raoul
I agree with trying to find a local reefer. This allows you to see the other nem(s) in the tank and transport isn't as long so hopefully not very stressful.

We got one about 2 weeks ago, it's stretching out into the open more and more each day and it's beautiful! One of the considerations I had to think about is lighting, we have metal halides. I wanted one that was already used to the lighting so it would be a little easier for the nem to get used to the tank.
I don't regret my decision at all, I don't think you will either :)

You've done your research right?
good luck!

Yep, I have done my research. In fact, I have kept anemones before, including a BTA. I just want captive bred if at all possible.

Thanks!

raoul
01/22/2007, 09:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9046854#post9046854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hesaias
Yep, I have done my research. In fact, I have kept anemones before, including a BTA. I just want captive bred if at all possible.

Thanks!

Great! We've had some heated threads about this lately, I didn't want to see another one :)

Anemone
01/22/2007, 09:57 PM
Scott,

The best advice here is to ask in your local club forum. Shipping makes even free clones pretty expensive.

Kevin

ATX aquarist
01/22/2007, 10:05 PM
try frags.org some ppl sell anemones that split there