PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Scare

Lpabsolute
01/21/2007, 06:36 PM
College student.....I went home this weekend (2 hour drive). Left on Friday morning and got back Sunday around 3. The first thing i always do is check my tanks whenever i come home. I noticed that my tank downstairs "54g corner" looked fine. added some water to it and did a quick rub down with my Mag-float. So then i went upstairs to check on my other tank "5.5g nano". I noticed that it was a little low in water so i topped it off. Then i happend to look at the thermomater. It was 65 degrees. I almost shi** my pants. I noticed that the light on my heater wasn't even on. I quickly ran to my LFS and bought a new heater and thermometer. My old heater was only about 6 months old and i've never had any problem with it. It was a 50watt heater so i replaced it with a 75watt which i keep in the AC 110 on the back of my tank. Some of the corals were out and looked fine and some were closed. The only fish is have "a small clown" was swimming around and looked fine. Talked to the owner at the LFS on the phone about it and he said 65 is really cold, but everything should be ok. It's now 7:30 and the temp is back up to 79 degrees where it alway is and has been since i set it up. Don't know why my heater crapped out like that. I always keep my house temp at 73, and never change it. I'm just glade my tank temp is back to normal. This is the first heater prob. i've ever had......and hopefully ever will.....knock on wood